Need help with brace location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy4elkys

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2017
Upper SC
These braces came with a parts el camino, can someone tell me where each one bolts on my 86 el camino. Thanks
20180210_112405.jpg
20180210_112412.jpg

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Number 1 and 2 look like front and rear frame tie braces. They probably use the existing bolts that hold the bumper shock to the frame.
Number 3 and 4 are jounce bars. The small hole end bolts to the center of the engine crossmember on that triangular pad. The bolts need to be self tapping. The big ends line up on the front frame horns behind the front bumper.
Number 5 is a GP bar. This mounts on top of the frame horn end of the jounce bars. The jounce bar bolts hold this brace and the jounce bars.
Number 6 are core support X- braces. These mount on the front side of the core support. They go from top corner to the lower corner on the other side. They will make an X when installed correctly.
Number 7 are GP inner fender braces. They go from about halfway on the inner fender to the top of the core support. Not sure they will work on an El Camino. The inner fender braces that will fit your car are straight.
I’m not sure what the last two sets are...timo22

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Looking at it closer, you will need the self tapping bolts for the jounce bars. Also the core support x- braces use clips and bolts for installation. I have these if you can’t find them . Also if you want to install inner fender braces , I have sets available ..timo22

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Numbers 8 and 9 look like the rear seat braces that go in the trunk across the back seat. Those are usually for coupe's, and will unlikely work on an Elco.

• Agree

Crazy4elkys

Apprentice
Dec 3, 2017
Upper SC
1 and 2 are square tubing, would that be a factory brace. Thanks for the replies

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor