need help with distributor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
asssuming you have a 307 the two engines use the same distributor but your 87 should have a computer controlled distributer

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
asssuming you have a 307 the two engines use the same distributor but your 87 should have a computer controlled distributer
Thanks for your reply so fast it is a 307 distributor I put it in the 350 I just wanted to make sure it was safe

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yes, you can should be all fine. You could swap the entire computer system over to the 350 if you want, but you'll have virtually no adjustability at all. Might as well get a normal non computer 350 Olds HEI distributor.

Last edited:

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, you can should be all fine. You could swap the tire computer system over to the 350 if you want, but you'll have virtually no adjustability at all. Might as well get a normal non computer 350 Olds thanks for your reply so fast I have to 72 motor in the 87 Cutlass now will I be able to advance the timing I was reading a couple other things online and people said they are good distributors they are HEI electronical and they do give a good consistent Spark I don't know how true that is I am new to all this motor swap

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Sorry about my posting I'm new to this I have the 72 Oldsmobile motor in my 87 Cutlass now I have the 87 distributor in the 72 the motor runs good will I be able to advance that distributor I did some research online I hear that the 87 distributor is a good electronic HEI distributor they said to a upgrade cap but I don't know how true this is thanks for your help

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If the distributor is directly computer controlled, the computer limits how effective your mods will be, but you can still upgrade the springs, weights, cap and rotor like a normal HEI. And the coil too.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
If the distributor is directly computer controlled, the computer limits how effective your mods will be, but you can still upgrade the springs, weights, cap and rotor like a normal HEI. And the coil too.
Thanks I don't want to sound stupid now when we have my friend did the motor swap because he knows a little bit more than me he didn't hook the computer harness back up but I know just the 1 harness that goes in the side of the distributor was hooked up now I don't know if that means it's running off the computer because the computer is not hooked up or that's just power I really appreciate your help

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
You can unplug it and see if it runs any different. In the long run, it'd be best to ditch the computer system entirely. Carb, dist, everything. Go with a standard q-jet (if you don't have one already) and mid 70s (all GM switched to HEI by late 74) non computer (so up to about 77/78) HEI distributor and call it good.

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
You don't want to use the stock 307 distributor unless you hook up all of the sensors relating to the computer control. If everything is not functioning correctly, the computer will not advance the distributor properly or at all and you wont have a lot of power. It would be best to swap to an older non-computer controlled HEI. Same goes for the carburetor as MrSony said.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor