need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
man I didn't notice that huge offset that is kind of absurd. You should sell the 2 rear ones and re-order them in a lower offset instead of notching your frame. That is such an oldschool thing that nobody does anymore. It's not worth cutting on a frame when you could just reorder the wheel in a smaller size and maintain the integrity of your frame which is already nearly 30 years old..

moeman.kj5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2014
Chicago, il
Qdub24 said:
As I suspected, the wheels' offset is too high for the rear (too much backspacing). You'll need adapters for the rear unless you get the frame notched.

Do the adapters come with the spacers?

moeman.kj5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2014
Chicago, il
pencero said:
man I didn't notice that huge offset that is kind of absurd. You should sell the 2 rear ones and re-order them in a lower offset instead of notching your frame. That is such an oldschool thing that nobody does anymore. It's not worth cutting on a frame when you could just reorder the wheel in a smaller size and maintain the integrity of your frame which is already nearly 30 years old..
I won't cut on the body I'll just grab the adapters.. do any of you know a good legit website that's not so high price wise??

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I use www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com for some stuff, but if the price is really high try getting them at the phone and if you get the right person you can get prices down pretty fast. Theres one guy in particular I forgot his name, who knows backspacing like the back of his hand so hopefully he's in if you call. Certainly thats not the best site to get stuff from but they have sales sometimes about this time of year, and some of the tires are pretty cheap in smaller sizes too

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Lots of people get the frame notched on G-bodies, especially for wide slicks and to tuck big rims. It's pretty common these days, especially with the amount of people who ride rims through the week and mount up slicks on the weekend.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Well I would certainly feel free to notch a frame on my car if I lived in a southern climate as you, but up here notching a frame on a car that's going to live outside is not a good long-term strategy as just taking a minor loss on the rims and ordering a slightly less ridiculous size would be.. The spacers / adaptor kit he is going to order right now will probably cost him the same amount as it would have cost to dabble down to a better fit...

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
A pair of good spacers usually cost no more than $150 brand new. A new wheel can cost $200 by itself, and he would need two. I agree with you that people should buy the proper fitting wheels for their cars, but it nothing to properly have your frame notched and reinforced, especially if you have aspirations of running it at the track with big meats on the back and not poking out. (I detest wheel poke.)

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Yeah but don't forget, he's doing all this at a shop so he's paying for labor too. A lot of us forget that on here b/c doing some of this stuff ourselves. This poster has to choose whichever way will manifest the least man hours or else something that should have cost a few hundred dollars starts to cost more like a few thousand dollars

moeman.kj5

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2014
Chicago, il
Qdub24 said:
A pair of good spacers usually cost no more than $150 brand new. A new wheel can cost $200 by itself, and he would need two. I agree with you that people should buy the proper fitting wheels for their cars, but it nothing to properly have your frame notched and reinforced, especially if you have aspirations of running it at the track with big meats on the back and not poking out. (I detest wheel poke.)

Im still new to this. This is my first time buying 24" rims so I had no clue about offsets or nothing. The shop told me those were the ones that would fit my car so I went with it. I will just grab the adapters tho. Im pretty sure getting the frame notched will cost a pretty penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor