Need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarateCrotch

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
what is this line from the transmission to the carb she started leaking trans fluid after i took out the ac/heater box image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
That's the Throttle Valve Sensor cable. No fluid in it. There is an O-ring in the bottom, that may have given up the ghost. If the cable had been installed right, there is a bracket that goes to one of the bellhousing bolts, so I am surprised the heater job is related. Could be it's been leaking a while.

To replace the O-ring, you have to pull the bolt out and disconnect the cable. There is a hook on the end of the cable...clamp the lever in the trans with a pair of needle-nose vice grips, but don't pull too hard or you'll damage the sensor. Swap the O-ring and reconnect it. If you let go you may not be able to dig it back out without dropping the pan.

You may need to reset the TVS cable when you are done. There is a D-shaped button in the end that hooks to the carb (two inches to the right of your pointer finger, on the other side of the metal bracket). Push it in, then pull the throttle level on the carb to WOT, then let the button go. If this is not set correctly, the trans may not shift right and you can damage it leaving it unadjusted.

• Useful
Reactions: 6 users

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
That’s the tv/kickdown cable. Not sure the exact function but don’t think the AC system is tied to it in any way.

edit: ssn696 beat me to it, and with way more info.

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Did you pull the trans fluid dipstick tube out to pull the heater box? THAT maybe your actual leak. There is a rubber grommet on the bottom of the tube, if may have been damaged if you R&R'd it.

Armchair diagnosis at its finest...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

KarateCrotch

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
Did you pull the trans fluid dipstick tube out to pull the heater box? THAT maybe your actual leak. There is a rubber grommet on the bottom of the tube, if may have been damaged if you R&R'd it.

Armchair diagnosis at its finest...
i actually didn’t i was looking at the progress and i seen she started leaking

Reactions: 1 user

KarateCrotch

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
That's the Throttle Valve Sensor cable. No fluid in it. There is an O-ring in the bottom, that may have given up the ghost. If the cable had been installed right, there is a bracket that goes to one of the bellhousing bolts, so I am surprised the heater job is related. Could be it's been leaking a while.

To replace the O-ring, you have to pull the bolt out and disconnect the cable. There is a hook on the end of the cable...clamp the lever in the trans with a pair of needle-nose vice grips, but don't pull too hard or you'll damage the sensor. Swap the O-ring and reconnect it. If you let go you may not be able to dig it back out without dropping the pan.

You may need to reset the TVS cable when you are done. There is a D-shaped button in the end that hooks to the carb (two inches to the right of your pointer finger, on the other side of the metal bracket). Push it in, then pull the throttle level on the carb to WOT, then let the button go. If this is not set correctly, the trans may not shift right and you can damage it leaving it unadjusted.
thank you so much 👊🏽

KarateCrotch

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles

is the throttle valve sensor same as throttle position sensor? anytime i look up a tvs cable or anything tvs nothing comes up

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The TVS is inside the transmission. TPS is part of a fuel injection system.

Maybe I should start over. Let's make sure I'm not giving you bad advice - we should decide what transmission you actually have there. What shape is the trans oil pan? Is there an electrical plug on the driver's side of transmission?

KarateCrotch

Apprentice
Jul 30, 2020
Los Angeles
The TVS is inside the transmission. TPS is part of a fuel injection system.

Maybe I should start over. Let's make sure I'm not giving you bad advice - we should decide what transmission you actually have there. What shape is the trans oil pan? Is there an electrical plug on the driver's side of transmission?
I’m so sorry I never seen this reply! It’s the shorter 200r pan the 11 bolt

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I’m so sorry I never seen this reply! It’s the shorter 200r pan the 11 bolt
That doesn't make sense. If it's a 200-4R, then it has a TV (throttle valve) cable. Adjustment of that cable is ultra critical to transmission longevity. 200-4R's only came in 442 Cutlass's, Monte SS's and Buick GN's. Do you have any of the above newer than a 1984?

Maybe a pic or two from a bit further back would be helpful. Several here are pretty experienced at looking at a pic and identifying what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor