What should I do with the engine?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Urban

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2015
Clayton, North Carolina
Im thinking about putting either a 350 or a small LS in the wagon. Since it is my first car, my dad says not too much power. I think a mild 4.8 would be nice. I was thinking LS because it is a good starter engine and it is easy to make power with (Boost, pistons, heads, ect). A 350 is limited. Then we run into the problem of wiring it. The 350 would be easy to wire because a 305 is already in it. I need some help. Whats your imput?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would say it depends on your budget. The LS engine would be a nice swap, but it could run you more than putting a mild 350 in.
You'd have to do a cost comparison between the two. The 350 would be a direct swap, whereas the LS would require specific mounts, exhaust manifolds, compatible oil pan, wiring, etc.
Again, it depends on your budget. I think the LS swap will cost you considerably more.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Want cheap and easy, Chevy 350 (or your local bar during happy hour :p) LS is 110% doable, but as LongRoof said, it would cost way more. More labor intensive. Or, do both. Drop in a 350, build an LS on the side. Then repurpose/sell the 350 when it's LS swap time.

• Agree

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Being your first car and probably a limited budget, I would suggest the 350. I know you think the 350 is limited but it will probably put down more HP that's on your mind. Longroof said it all.

Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
First car = limited budget so I would opt for the "best of the best" gen1 SBC and get a 96-03 vortec 5.7. That at least gets you into a "roller" block and better heads without breaking the bank. If there is no provision for a mech fuel pump you can run an electric pump with pressure regulator. You can then swap all your driveline, carb & accessories over to the new motor to keep the costs down.

The vortec is good for a solid 250 hp and good 325+TQ. If it runs well down the road you could swap in the LT4 Hotcam for a boost in HP ( around 375-400 hp ).

Keep in mind the more motor you throw at it, the more stuff that will break ( my stock 200r4 trans lived a few short months before it failed behind a new motor ). You have to think of it as a package. Before the motor I would upgrade the brakes, trans, and rear which will all cost more money but keep you safe.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would change the intake, put on a quadrajet and leave the 305 in it till you figure out what you want and have the money to do it. I did my brake and suspension upgrades before I added power to it.

• Agree

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
What Pontiacgp said make sure you can stop before you go the 305 is a good little engine with some minor tweaks

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

JBsCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2016
Keep the 305 short block. Add an intake, carb, headers, etc to it now and have a little fun while you get a 350 together on the side then swap in the 350 when it is ready. Much more budget friendly and at the end of the day you can make more power for less money than an LS.

Reactions: 1 user

Hunter Urban

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2015
Clayton, North Carolina
I would change the intake, put on a quadrajet and leave the 305 in it till you figure out what you want and have the money to do it. I did my brake and suspension upgrades before I added power to it.

It has Hotchkis suspension and BFG performance tires (245-45/17). Still drum brakes in the back. I may want to put disks in the back before anything. It has a Monte SS steering box and 200r4 4 speed auto.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Adding disc brakes to the back isn't a cost effective swap for now and unnecessary unless you are racing or just have to show off that you have rear discs. Upgrading the front brakes will make a much bigger difference as they do most of the stopping. My car is pretty serious, I autocross it a lot and drag race on occasion besides drive it daily. I still have stock G body drum brakes out back and won;t switch to discs until I get around to installing a 9" Ford, which the brake swap will simply be convenient. I did upgrade to 98-02 Camaro front brakes and that made a HUGE difference. Upgrading to or Wilwood or Baer stuff would be nice but not budget friendly for you right now.

When I first bought my wagon I left the 305 in it for about a year or so and then swapped in a 406 SBC. It took a little swallowing my pride to drive a slow car but I didn't really care, it was super reliable and got decent gas mileage, and I knew more power was coming soon.

If you plan to run an LS I wouldn't bother wasting any cash on the 305 or a 350 in the mean time, save it for the LS. My son who is near your age is driving around in the stock 350 in his wagon, it's not real fast, mid 16s in the 1/4, but it's enough power to have fun autocrossing. The only upgrades are the cat fell off and it has a Flowmaster muffler to sound good. He bought a wrecked 2003 Tahoe from Copart for $800+ $300 in fees and $450 in shipping. So he got a VERY good running complete truck with a 5.3 and 4L60E for just under $1600. Doing it this way means he gets all the wiring, sensors, accessories like the alternator and power steering pump. He can part out the good parts on the truck and scrap what's left to recover some money. He bought a used set of 98-02 Camaro headers for cheap too. We will use the factory wiring harness and spend the couple hours it takes to do the pin out ourselves. A flash of the computer I understand runs about $175 and a friend has HP tuners so we can get into it. Ultimately we figure about $1000 + to complete the swap. I think a $2500 budget for an LS swap (without trans) is reasonable. You can save some $ by buying a complete vehicle.

4.8s might be more plentiful and a bit cheaper, but honestly for a few bucks more for a 5.3 you get an engine with that much more potential. You really just as well get a 5.3 instead. 6.0s and 6.2s are more spendy and harder to find but cubes are king. The biggest downfall of a 4.8 is it has to rev higher to make a little less hp than a 5.3. Keep in mind, if you drop an 8000 rpm 4.8 in a Chevette or Vega with 4.56 gears you'll have a nasty street machine. Put that motor in a 3500 lb wagon and not so much. Also a high revver will wear out or break sooner than a larger higher torque lower rpm motor. I run 406 SBCs in all my cars because I can make 500 ft lbs and shift at 5000 rpms all day long. A motor like that will last 100,000 miles without a glitch, and it'll smoke any small motor on the street because playing with friends often doesn't (and shouldn't) go much beyond first gear.

You can get a decent price on a crate 350 long block if you shop around, and get decent hp. Sometimes a solid inexpensive crate motor and a cam swap will put 300+ hp to the wheels. That's not too bad.

When I first started building cars at 16 I had a 1/4 mile time in mind and then built accordingly. My car was a 73 4 door Nova that ran 14s in high school with a fairly mild 327 (similar to Ebrock Performer parts). Then I saved some money and a few years after high school built a 406 motor and suspension that pushed the car to mid 11s at the track, a computer dyno program said it should be roughly 560 hp. I drove that car on the street everyday and it was a blast.

As per your dad's worries, I think a 13 second car is reasonable and respectable for a teenager. Keep in mind if you have stock 180 hp or 700 hp, either way you can get hurt or into trouble if you don't respect that your piloting a 3500 lb torpedo. As I said I drove my 11 sec Nova that I built for street racing (like you see on street outlaws) and only got out of control once when I hit a puddle from a lawn sprinkler and I happen to have had drag slicks on the car at the time. The way you drive is key to safety rather than how much hp you have. A few key rules will keep you safe. Don't be stupid. Don't drive in a normal crazy teenager way in the rain or snow with power under the hood. Take it easy so you don't blow the tires away and slide the rear out. When it does rain or snow, find a large parking lot and purposely try to get the car out of control and practice getting it back under control. If it has enough power to spin tires on dry pavement practice launching in parking lots and learn how to control wheel spin. Practice also launching in a way that doesn't spin, you'll find you'll smoke your friends off the line every time because they only know how to put the pedal on the floor and lose traction. Don't drive stupid in traffic or neighborhoods! There is a time and place for everything. If you can start autocrossing, I think that's the safest and most fun you'll ever have becoming a better driver. Every teenager should autocross, you become more responsive and alert, you think fast and react to quick changes in driving direction, and you become incredibly familiar with your car and how far you can push it and still maintain traction and control. Recently my son was driving my wife to the store and a car pulled out where he was driving. My wife told me later she was so impressed, he didn't even think about it, he simply changed lanes and went around the other car and kept driving much like dodging cones. He avoided an ugly accident because autocrossing has made his "defensive" driving near habit and unconscious.

Good luck with your decisions. If you're unsure of a decent street car set up please ask here, us old guys have been there and done that and are happy to help you.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor