Need to know what transmission I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
No, not every V8 G body will have it. It was an option on all V8 G bodies from 84-88, but some had TH350C's and some may have had TH200C's as well. I have found them both with and without them. Just remember what the pan looks like when going out into the yard. It will not be in the earlier cars as the availability did not start until later. You also do not have to stay away from all Caddy's, just the ones with the 4100 V8. They have an aluminum block and chrome valve covers, so they are easy to identify. If you re-read my post you will see that only the performance models have this trans as standard. All others had it available as an option.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
STLRegal said:
Yeah, we were thinking that it would bog the motor down. With out having enough power to turn the gears.

I'd think you'd be alright with that 3.8 and 3.42's at least... but anythings possible.

Start tracking down an engine/trans combo and do the swap all at once!

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
In terms of the 200-4R, I didn't see any mention of dealing with the lockup torque converter and the TV cable. These two are VERY IMPORTANT, particularly the TV cable.

The lockup is electric, controlled by the computer. For non-computer apps you'll have to run a switch in order to lock-up the torque converter. You can check Summit, Jegs for this kit.

The throttle valve, or TV cable, takes the place of the modulator on the trans. Miss adjust or don't use it and the transmission will shift like crap and won't have a long life. Not sure what carb setup you're going to have but you're going to need this.

You can also check on getting a G-Force crossmember, especially if you're planning on doing a larger-than stock or true dual-exhaust. It's really beefy and has cut-outs built in for the duals, really helpful if you're running headers. The issue with the stock crossmember is that the pipes can hang down lower than wanted, particularly the driver side, when running a true dual. If you going to run a stock-type dual system you don't really have to worry about it, as the exhaust chokes down via the y-pipe into the converter then comes back out.

As stated you should be ok on a stock x-member since you have an '84, just take a quick peek at the driver's side frame-rail. There should be two sets of holes. The ones more forward, toward the front wheel are for the 3spd trannies: TH350 and such; the second set is for the TH2004R. GM angled the x-member back on the driver's side for the 200-4R, hence the second set of holes. Make sure you have the second set of holes in the frame-rail.

Hope this helps and good luck.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Thanks, once I get the air conditioning back in my car, Im going to start a quest for a 200-4r and the stuff required. I was planning on doing the rearend first, but the car is starting to leak oil out the rear main seal. Its a slow leak, but if I have to pull the transmission I might as well put a better one in.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
jae's right. when you do the trans swap, plan ahead and get a crossmember that allows for dual exhaust.

jegs sells them.. but make sure you get the one to match the trans that's going in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor