Need to replace factory carburetor with mechanical one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaimone brown

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 25, 2018
I have a 86 cutlass with a 231 in it. the wires burnt up on my carburetor and I just want to get it back running until I swap the motor out.looking to put a mechanical carburetor on it since the wires are burnt what do I need to do?and what carburetors can I use to replace the factory one?

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
If I remember correctly that is a 2 barrel CCC quadrajet. Any 2 barrel non computerized carb will work or they do make a 4 barrel to 2 barrel adapter or if your lucky enough to find a 4 barrel intake for the 231 you could go that route also.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Just repair the wiring, they sell replace replacement plugs for the M/C solenoid or TPS. Which wires are burnt? The M/C, TPS, or automatic choke?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I mean, edelbrock makes an intake for it, as well as other people, but it'd be best to try and repair whats there. the car wont run right with nothing going to the carb. You'd have to ditch the computer entirely, not partially. that means new carb and distributor.

• Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's less time, and far less money, to fix what you've got.

You aren't goin to find much performance gain in a straight ccc to non 2bbl carb swap. Similarly, you aren't going to gain much of anything swapping 2bbl to 4bbl.... on a tired engine, maybe a dozen hp tops. to get more power out of a na 3.8 you need to build the heck out of the motor.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor