new battery but nothing works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
i started up my car the other day and the battery cable from the starter melted on a header tube..so the battery was bad and i got a new one ...when i tried to start it but sparks came out from the positive baterry post. and everything seems to not work :wtf: ...until i disconnect and reconnect then i have lights radio etc..until i try to crank it...i think the starter is bad....anybodyhave any suggestions or usefull information ...please tell me...thanks...and i am planning to take the starter and get it checked..

mkiiisupra

Master Mechanic
Dec 28, 2008
Versailles, KY
Probably shorted out and fried the starter solenoid or one of the fusible links on the starter wires. Check the fusible links first, they will pull apart if bad. If they are in good shape, then buy a new solenoid or a new starter, in most cases, its only a few dollars more to buy the whole starter. Also check your grounds and make sure they are secure as well.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
sbcCuttY said:
i started up my car the other day and the battery cable from the starter melted on a header tube..so the battery was bad and i got a new one.

The battery cable melted, so you replaced the battery instead of the battery cable? :?
You need to replace that cable, not the battery... it's probably still grounding itself out...

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Fuseable link is my guess. I fried one in the past (hooked my booster cables up wrong :oops: ).

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
also check the end connections on the batt cable and the ground.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
Blake442 said:
sbcCuttY said:
i started up my car the other day and the battery cable from the starter melted on a header tube..so the battery was bad and i got a new one.

The battery cable melted, so you replaced the battery instead of the battery cable? :?
You need to replace that cable, not the battery... it's probably still grounding itself out...

:rofl: thats what I was thinking

sbcCuttY

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
:wtf: wut the hell..of course i changed the cable..i just didnt state it because its just common sense to replace or fix it .i got a new batery (free,old one was still under warranty) old one had a bad cell..and i took the starter to pep boys and the solenoid was bad...so i got it replaced...of course it was at no charge..always keep my reciepts..and the car starts up fine :mrgreen:

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
well you do have to realize that you can not take someones knowledge for granted, you just have to teake their post at face value and thats what yours sounded like so we went with it lol. Glad you got it fixed :D

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
sbcCuttY said:
...i changed the cable..i just didnt state it because its just common sense to replace or fix it...

Unfortunately, the thing about common sense is that it's not all that common... :lol:

That's why we have to ask some of the obvious things... Glad you got it fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor