New Daily: '86 Eagle Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well, just finished up a huge fiasco. I hear the Chrysler Torqueflite selector shaft seal is a very common leaking point. I took the Eagle out and went up a hill that our Astro would take without fuss(maybe a 4/10) and it was dumping trans fluid like it was going out of style. Finally fixed this last weekend after 45 days off the road. Had the Trans and T-case dropped by a few inches, front shaft out, skid plate, crossmember dropped, what a fun job. Anyway its been great lately. I haven't posted on here for awhile, but now has some fresh Cobra GT's and I put a little more work into the paint and it looks great. Still loving this car, I'm not sure I could stand to lose it, I think its a keeper.
Here's some gratuitous Eagle beauty shots, for your viewing pleasure
View attachment 88769 View attachment 88770 View attachment 88771
Pics look straight out of the sales brochure. Nice job!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A crossover I would actually own and drive.

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Its a great car, congratulations. A mark of history too, I had an 81 eagle some years back, it was in worse shape than yours. It was a 4.2 auto with no accessories, no passenger mirror no radio even, cheapest of the cheap, but it was reliable and comfortable.

eagle.jpg eagle2.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
AMC owned the Jeep back in the 80's, was the drivetrain on the Eagle borrowed from the Jeep?

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
AMC owned the Jeep back in the 80's, was the drivetrain on the Eagle borrowed from the Jeep?

no they had a special independent front suspension and a dana30 front and 35 back axle if I remember correctly, the front was a double wishbone setup with the coilover shock absorber on the upper arm while they had leaf sprung rear suspension the 4wd was vaacum operated while there was no low range it was a great advantage over the sole rear wheel drive otherwise common in this type of vehicle

Reactions: 1 user

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

Kind of. The 258 is nearly straight out of a jeep other than the oil pan that let the half shaft go through it The Transfer case didn't have a low range, but you can adapt one. but it was mostly AMC guys in Kenosha and not Jeep guys in Toledo that came up with the eagle.

Everyone in Kenosha had a Concord, Hornet, Gremlin, etc. that sucked to drive in the winter so a lightbulb went off. The Jeep people and the car people (and the AM General) people definitely traded notes. But it was everyone who lived in Wisconsin's dream to have a 4X4 car they could drive up to Green Bay for a game, if only just once.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor