MONTE CARLO New fuel tank replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I have a dorman tank in front of me. It's exterior is painted, some sort of gray acrylic or something. Whatever it is, lacquer thinner removes it. I'm gonna blast it off and paint it.
20230305_222404.jpg

The inside is poorly galvanized, I think. I know its not the same as the outer coating because lacquer thinner wont remove any. But Im not positive about the finish.
20230305_222356.jpg

That 250$ nos tank don't seem like a bad idea/price to me.
I think a spectra tank w/ fill neck is 200 on rockauto after shipping.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You seemed to be happy with your spectra fuel cell. My understanding that these are galvanized versus painted like the Dorman tanks are.
if the lack of paint if a bother, its just a rattle can fix away. I cant speak to whats under that dorman paint, or how well it stands up, but, assuming its a less robust coating, scratches and tank strap rubs = rust

one is made in canada, one is made in taiwan.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
I've had a Spectra since 2008. I can't remember how much I paid at AutoZone for it. Also got the filler neck. Amazon has a lower price than both AZ and Advance.
Spectra was just a little bit more in price, but I think you helped sell me on it.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
I have a dorman tank in front of me. It's exterior is painted, some sort of gray acrylic or something. Whatever it is, lacquer thinner removes it. I'm gonna blast it off and paint it. View attachment 217352
The inside is poorly galvanized, I think. I know its not the same as the outer coating because lacquer thinner wont remove any. But Im not positive about the finish. View attachment 217353
That 250$ nos tank don't seem like a bad idea/price to me.
I think a spectra tank w/ fill neck is 200 on rockauto after shipping.
I would think the galvanized/Ni Terne coating is better than being painted. Galvanized coating won't chip away like paint. Just not sure if the galvanizing is coated in the inside as well.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
You seemed to be happy with your spectra fuel cell. My understanding that these are galvanized versus painted like the Dorman tanks are.
I posted pics of mine, nice quality.

jimsmonte80

Apprentice
Aug 22, 2011
I posted pics of mine, nice quality.
I do like that galvanized look, very sleek. I wish I knew if OPGI had a good quality fuel tank. Like I mentioned, not looking for OEM, but OPGI normally has pretty good quality items. I wish I had more testimonial from OPGI fuel tank owners.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
I am honestly not sure, who is the most reliable.

However last year, it seems the Caprice still had a Spectra tank when I dropped it to replace the sender, the whole thing was rusty at the top but inside was actually very clean.

However, it could have been installed 10-15 years ago because the mechanic who owned it before me was driving it daily, since 2004 😤💪💪💪

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I wouldn't worry so much whatever OPGI has. Most of the stuff they have is made by someone else anyway. I did a cursory check on their fuel tanks and I'm not sure what you were looking at but they're pushing the heck out of $500 ready to go FI tanks. Fugg that.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I wouldn't worry so much whatever OPGI has. Most of the stuff they have is made by someone else anyway. I did a cursory check on their fuel tanks and I'm not sure what you were looking at but they're pushing the heck out of $500 ready to go FI tanks. Fugg that.
Dunno why you'd buy a 500 fancy tank when a stock replacement 4.3 monte or 3.8 grand national is just as good.:blam:

Musy be a money trap for the clueless ls swap guys.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I do like that galvanized look, very sleek. I wish I knew if OPGI had a good quality fuel tank. Like I mentioned, not looking for OEM, but OPGI normally has pretty good quality items. I wish I had more testimonial from OPGI fuel tank owners.
If they were in stock for the $99 free shipping over the weekend I might of be able to give one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor