new guy from ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassdude14

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 18, 2010
Whats up? I'm new here
got a couple of questions to ask.
A little about myself I'm 15 and still in high school looking to get a cutlass for my first car
My question is that ok well my cousin has a 442 sitting in his back yard its pretty beat but runs
if i were to get a normal cutlass would it be possible to swap the motor from the 442 into it without to much work.
i heard the regular cutlass is lighter?

The base Cutlass might be lighter but I doubt its by much. Depends on how many options either of the cars had.

The engine out of the 442 would be a direct swap into a base Cutlass provided the engine in the 442 is still an Olds engine and that the engine in the base Cutlass you get is also an Olds engine. Otherwise things get a little more complicated.

Personally, if you find a base Cutlass thats in good running condition, I don't that I'd worry about swapping the 442's engine in there. Its not that big of a difference in HP to go through the trouble. If your going to swap engines, you might as well swap a 350 or 403 Olds engine in there which are also a direct swap.

Things I would pull off the 442 would be the 8.5" rear end and transmission ( Assuming both are original and still there) along with a few of the suspension pieces. Steering box, front and rear sway bars, front "jounce" bars, etc. Although a lot of times a base Cutlass could have these as well.

ok so all the motors you mentioned are direct swaps. thanks i didn't know that. well i guess its time to find a good cutlass and a cheap 350. thanks again for the info

cutlassdude14 said:
ok so all the motors you mentioned are direct swaps. thanks i didn't know that. well i guess its time to find a good cutlass and a cheap 350. thanks again for the info

Beeterolds from here has a running 350 and a 70 350 short block for sale. He is in Akron.

you should get the 442. the rear diff is the most important thing if your lookin to put in a bigger engine. my cutlass supreme is quick but with the rear diff it would be a lot faster with the stock 307. also the 442's 307 is a little more powerful than the one i have. Im in dayton ohio

Welcome!

Let see some pics of the 442! If it's not too far gone, it'd be a great project... and if it is, it'd be a great donor for any other G-body, especially another Olds!

that 442 is not beat enough to pass it up bro

If the roof is rusted through like this:

pics148.jpg

Then I highly doubt the rest of the car is rust free.

I'd pull parts off of it that you can use and find something nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor