New guy w/78 4 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadillac7834

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2013
Batavia Il
Thanks for the compliments I had a feeling this was a great find. Out if everyone I talk to most don't even know the 3rd gens came with a manual option. Gbarrie, the car has all the trim except the front and rear bumpers are missing some pieces I'm guessing some rubber trim type that ddteriorated. I pulled the food cover off to see if it came with a Posi that was just worn(one wheel peel :) and no such luck . Came equipped with 2.73 7.5" open rear end. Guess you can't have everything,right?

Attachments

• IMAG0289.jpg
    IMAG0289.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 548
  • IMAG0290.jpg
    IMAG0290.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 541

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
I test drove this car a couple of days before cadillac7834 bought it. I can attest to it's "fun to drive" factor and the fact that it'll light up the right rear, even from a roll. :mrgreen:

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
cadillac7834 said:
If I were to do a full stock resto on this what figures do you think it would bring at auction or private sale ?

If you're asking me, although this car is worthy of restoration, a full on, frame off, cosmetic and mechanical resto could easily exceed $20-$25K.

It's a cool car, but it'll be a project.

iam2fast4u86

Greasemonkey
Jan 8, 2009
SE Ohio
cadillac7834 said:
If I were to do a full stock resto on this what figures do you think it would bring at auction or private sale ?
Man thats a hard question to answer. I bet there has never been one run through any high end auction so who knows what to base it on. There are few private sales you can go by but price and condition is all over the mark and I don't think I have seen one for sale that has a 4 speed with air and power options. Like I said this is a very rare car but its time has yet to come IMHO. The 78-80 cars are just now starting to pick up steam and I am sure that is directly related to the limited availability of repro parts. I think the car is a 100% home run but wont bring big money just yet. One thing to think about....its the last v8 4 speed manual monte carlo produced. I would keep it.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
iam2fast4u86 said:
cadillac7834 said:
One thing to think about....its the last v8 4 speed manual monte carlo produced. I would keep it.
x2 on that. In Mexico, there was an SS 4 speed package in '84 with a GP interior, but as far as America is concerned: the '78-'80 body style was the last chance to go to a dealer and say, "I'd like my Monte with a manual." Hasn't been offered with one since on any platform.

chazman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 12, 2013
Chicagoland
Had I ended up buying this car, I simply would have cleaned it up, done any necessary mechanical repairs and just drove it as is. Frame off restos are a big commitment - lots of money, time and effort. Really, more than I'd be willing to do.

DI_Knight

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
Mexico
Im from Mexico, and yep, there was a SS package for 1984 with floor shifter, a very rare car to see theses days. I would keep it as much original as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor