New guy with a lost and found

Status
Not open for further replies.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Hello and welcome to the forum from West Virginia. GREAT STORY LINE 4 SURE.. Glad your here ...

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Welcome. Good story. Sounds like your intentions are solid since you have no strings attached. I think it's more likely that she'll just say "thanks, but no thanks", since she never brought it up before. Especially if you have it mechanically sorted but leave it to her to transport it to wherever she's living now. No need to offer free delivery;). Either way, you'll have a clear conscience.
Keep us posted -- and start a build thread when you get it home.

CharlzO2k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Upstate NY
Definitely looking forward to getting it home and start to work on it. Late in the year, so hard to say how fast the progress will be, but it's going to be nice to work on a car without a million miles of electronics in it. It's been a while since I've had a good mechanical car to tinker with.

Reactions: 1 users

CharlzO2k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Upstate NY
Just a follow up: Went and looked at the car in person today. Talk about bringing memories back. I had it in my head, that I was going to go in all gung-ho and be like, hey, I know it's got stuff wrong that you didn't say, and this, and that, and use a jerkish tactic to get him to sell it cheaper. All of which went out the window as soon as I touched it again. It looks exactly as it did then, the only exceptions being that they took a pry-bar to the trunk lock cylinder, and broke the ignition cylinder as well, to start and move the car. Otherwise it might as well be out of a time machine. Fortunately, he's of the same mind as myself - he'd rather see it in the hands of someone that's going to keep it together, and not turn it into a derby or stock car. So we agreed on his asking price, with him offering to bring it to my house (only about 5 miles) on a flatbed trailer next Saturday, and I'll start a build, or rebuild, thread at that point. I also decided to e-mail the ex and her husband, and offer the options for the car's plans, to see what they feel about it. No doubt it will be a shock to hear, so I expect that they'll take some time. She might have a reaction of omg I want it back! but then have to sort out the logistics of where to keep it, all that lovely stuff, but that's not my worry right now. Either way it goes, I'm excited to get it here next week and start toying with it. First thing on the list: Wash. I don't think I posted a picture of it as it sits now. My signature is a picture I had taken of it the first time I was in FL and saw it. The attached is how it is now, so it certainly has some room to get back to glory.

Attachments

• 35168744_1713219562132987_8890436643199123456_n.jpg
    35168744_1713219562132987_8890436643199123456_n.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 156

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yup, a good thing they didn't take a mallet to the rest of the car. It'll take a little effort, but in no time it should turn out well.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I think it's a cool story, and you're a hell of a guy

I figure you're going to be either

The hero, for finding and repairing her grandma's car that got away

OR

The *******, for digging up the past

I'm pulling for the first choice(y)

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CharlzO2k

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 8, 2018
Upstate NY
So you definitely got it?

Definitely got. I'm glad too, and he seemed pleased that it was going to someone interested in keeping the history of it's family ties ongoing. He said the only other guy recently that was showing interest is a local dirt track racer. I think the fact that he hasn't run it at all, so that was unknown to him, coupled with the fact that he had no title for it, was probably why it hadn't sold. Was also why I was fearful it would end up as a derby car, but probably saved by him never running it too. It's gonna be a long week until it gets here!

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Cool story!

I've definitely seen worse.. looks decent enough to save. Always loved those Cutlass rims. If I wouldn't get 9 kinds of hell for it, I would contemplate putting them on my Grand Prix - never was a fan of the Rally II's, honestly... Probably end up with old school Cragar SS's at some point..

Unless you're into a lot of power (400hp+) and you're just looking for something as a daily driver, just get a decent 350 and bolt it to a 200R4 and call it a day. I know this may be like an oil brand debate, and some people may disagree, and but I like the streetability of the 200R4 and stock, it will handle even a slightly modified 350 without issue. Worse case, build the 200R4 to handle more.. Well worth it in the long, run... IMHO.

I've run both.. Had a 78 Trans Am with a 400 pushing just a touch over 410hp with a TH350 and 3.73 Posi (That car was FUN)

I would take the 200R4 over the TH350... that 4th gear just makes cruising so much nicer.. toss in fuel economy for sh*ts and giggles.

From a firm believer in Karma:
1) You found the car.
2) It didn't go to the guy that would gut/trash/derby it.
3) You're alive to talk about it.

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

:)

-Gonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor