New guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Welcome Jake; You have scored a fine starting point. And I agree with Mr Sony, put a Buick V8 in it with after market stand alone Fuel Injection, as their just seems to be way too many Ls swaps! Dare to be different. Just an ole' guys opinion, no charge, Ole' Bob.
Quadrajet never hurt neither. 17058241 800cfm off of a 78 350 Buick (pretty common carb actually) runs great on 350 Buicks. Mine ran and started better than injected cars I've driven, got about 18 highway, 14 city with it too if I kept it in the primaries. :p I'd opt for a 75-80 motor as they had the beefier capscrew rods, and with older models there's fitment issues with the carb linkage. Carb pads on older 74 and back intakes are basically level with the intake. No room for the little bit of the arm that drops down for the kickdown cable. Aluminum TA intake solves that though. By far, the most complicated part about swapping a 3.8 to a Buick 350, is finding the damn throttle cable/kickdown bracket. For some reason, it's just a part no one has, no one makes, everyone forgets about when they part the 350 cars out. Oh well. I'll go now, lest I end up convincing you. Although.... https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/d/1970s-buick-350-runner-4brl/6271599132.html
:twisted:

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
Thanks everyone for the warm and fuzzies. ☺ as far as a swap goes I have emissions here in Phoenix to deal with. Not sure of all the rules and what the state looks for with older vehicles and engine swaps.
When i took this thing in for it's test they checked the evap system by pressurizing the gas tank and gas gap to make sure nothing leaked. Then they checked to make sure the cat was there, and then spent several minutes eyeballing things under the hood.
All my other Gbodies I owned was in Ohio. First thing you did back there was find a non computerized hei distributor and a regular quadrajet, then spend a day desmogging your car.
This car i have now is like a time capsule due to it being all original and only having 47K on the odometer. This could be a go to car for anyone wanting to see how gm built them and how things are routed. I kinda feel bad for having thoughts of tearing it apart. A base model all original Regal (non GN) with low verified miles is a rare bird.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Thanks everyone for the warm and fuzzies. ☺ as far as a swap goes I have emissions here in Phoenix to deal with. Not sure of all the rules and what the state looks for with older vehicles and engine swaps.
When i took this thing in for it's test they checked the evap system by pressurizing the gas tank and gas gap to make sure nothing leaked. Then they checked to make sure the cat was there, and then spent several minutes eyeballing things under the hood.
All my other Gbodies I owned was in Ohio. First thing you did back there was find a non computerized hei distributor and a regular quadrajet, then spend a day desmogging your car.
This car i have now is like a time capsule due to it being all original and only having 47K on the odometer. This could be a go to car for anyone wanting to see how gm built them and how things are routed. I kinda feel bad for having thoughts of tearing it apart. A base model all original Regal (non GN) with low verified miles is a rare bird.
Emissions suck. Your car is still cool though. :p

85grandprix

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2017
Welcome brother from way over here in Kuwait.. That's a beautiful car

myfast70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
Sun City, AZ (Phoenix area)
Welcome to the forum! I'm in Sun City and doing my own swap on a real GN right now, a Ford Coyote with my own twin turbo setup. I agree with others about doing a different v8 swap but at the end of the say you have to do what works for you & your budget. Let me know if you need a GN rear end or your 200 trans gone thru. I also make stock location fuel systems for G Body cars that will support over 1200hp in a stock tank.

Good luck with the build!

myfast70

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 15, 2017
Sun City, AZ (Phoenix area)
Welcome to the forum and nice ride!! I'm in Sun City and doing my own swap on a real GN right now, a Ford Coyote with my own twin turbo setup. I agree with others about doing a different v8 swap but at the end of the say you have to do what works for you & your budget. Let me know if you need a GN rear end or your 200 trans gone thru. I also make stock location fuel systems for G Body cars that will support over 1200hp in a stock tank.

Good luck with the build!

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Hey Jake would you mind posting some good pics of your engine compartment? I’m trying to get mine to look original and I totally agree with you. Keep it original. Some things are cool the way they are. Thanks.

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
Hey Jake, Welcome from west Michigan.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor