New house

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
The view from your property is amazing. Im jealous. For more then one reason. Im down on LI like Turna. It sucks here. Taxes are criminal. The people moving out here from up west suck. Most seem to have that entitled attitude. It can take close to a year to get a building permit and you have to jump through all sorts of hoops.
Years ago I wanted to add on to my 22x30 garage. It was built in '82. My house was built in 1900. Because of the new "historic" area I needed to put all sorts of crap on the existing building to give it the "old look" if I added on to it. Meanwhile my house has vinyl siding and Anderson windows. Now I want to redo the floor on my front porch. Town gets a demo fee of $150. I really do hate it here. LOL
Cant wait to see the new home !!!

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
The view from your property is amazing. Im jealous. For more then one reason. Im down on LI like Turna. It sucks here. Taxes are criminal. The people moving out here from up west suck. Most seem to have that entitled attitude. It can take close to a year to get a building permit and you have to jump through all sorts of hoops.
Years ago I wanted to add on to my 22x30 garage. It was built in '82. My house was built in 1900. Because of the new "historic" area I needed to put all sorts of crap on the existing building to give it the "old look" if I added on to it. Meanwhile my house has vinyl siding and Anderson windows. Now I want to redo the floor on my front porch. Town gets a demo fee of $150. I really do hate it here. LOL
Cant wait to see the new home !!!
Sounds a lot like here at the Jersey shore that I never get to see

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
We have a big hole now! And the septic system is completely installed, just needs to be inspected and can be covered up. All of it was completed start to finish today. Couldn't believe how much they got done. They were staying late to dig the step footers around the back corner where it's a walkout basement.

IMG_20190822_162802.jpg

IMG_20190822_173143.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
We have a big hole now! And the septic system is completely installed, just needs to be inspected and can be covered up. All of it was completed start to finish today. Couldn't believe how much they got done. They were staying late to dig the step footers around the back corner where it's a walkout basement.

View attachment 121663

View attachment 121664

The view in the first picture is amazing !!! How are the property taxes in that part of the state ? High like Long Island ? Are the building codes tough ? Big garages allowed ?

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The view in the first picture is amazing !!! How are the property taxes in that part of the state ? High like Long Island ? Are the building codes tough ? Big garages allowed ?
Thank you! The town we live in is known as a "rich" area. But only from outsiders that don't know anything other than what they've been told. Yes there are some stupidly rich people in the town, but most are just middle class. Property taxes are actually the cheapest per 1k of assessed value in the entire county. Most don't believe me but it's true. Now if you spend 750k on a standard 70's ranch, first off you're an idiot, and second off yes, you're going to pay a lot in taxes. Now on the other hand finding a cheap house in this area is hard, and when you do they are usually piles. Which ours was. But from the outside it looked ok, and I made it last 14 years for us. Combined school and property taxes on it were 2400. Really not too bad in NY State... Building codes are normal, and big garages are allowed. They go by property size and permeable area. We went from 7.2% impermeable area to 8.1%. not a big deal, no variance required.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thank you! The town we live in is known as a "rich" area. But only from outsiders that don't know anything other than what they've been told. Yes there are some stupidly rich people in the town, but most are just middle class. Property taxes are actually the cheapest per 1k of assessed value in the entire county. Most don't believe me but it's true. Now if you spend 750k on a standard 70's ranch, first off you're an idiot, and second off yes, you're going to pay a lot in taxes. Now on the other hand finding a cheap house in this area is hard, and when you do they are usually piles. Which ours was. But from the outside it looked ok, and I made it last 14 years for us. Combined school and property taxes on it were 2400. Really not too bad in NY State... Building codes are normal, and big garages are allowed. They go by property size and permeable area. We went from 7.2% impermeable area to 8.1%. not a big deal, no variance required.

Ive got a little over 3/4 acre, small house thats 119 years old and my tax bill this year was just shy of $7200. LI sucks.

• Wow
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
80X100 lot 3 bed 1 and 1/2 bath falling apart around me GSP behind the house and a extremely busy country road out front here in the people's republic of dirty Jersey the property tax is right about 6k a year and I can't build a garage

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
80X100 lot 3 bed 1 and 1/2 bath falling apart around me GSP behind the house and a extremely busy country road out front here in the people's republic of dirty Jersey the property tax is right about 6k a year and I can't build a garage
You need to get out of there! You need room to breathe. Here in Iowa there are a lot of sheds the same size as your hole place.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Jesus! Our lot is exactly 1.5 acres. Of course our taxes will be going up with a new house, but its based off what you spent to build it. So ours should about double. I also get a discount since I'm a veteran so that helps a bit too. Just hope everything goes as close as possible to the plan. We're having 9' basement ceilings, and it's a walkout, so if we ever want to add rooms, we can and they will have an 8' finished ceiling. Spray foam the whole house too. All for $112/sqft finished :)

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor