New knocking in engine(with link to video for reference)

Status
Not open for further replies.

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
Hey, first post here, but ive been reading these forums for awhile now. Little history. Ive got a 86 monte carlo LS with a 71 307 in it. (I bought the car this way, intend to swap to a 350, cant afford it at this very moment)
Has a turbo 350, and a recently installed ford 9" with a detroit locker and 3.89 gears from Quick Performance. Onto the issue.

Ive been driving the car since july, has had a constant lifter tick but that hasent gotten any worse(i was about to get into that next until i heard this noise..) I installed the ford 9" recently and in doing so the car began running different rpms. The original rear end had ~2.42s in it now cruising around town at about 35 im running 2500 rpms instead of 1500. Well there seems to be a knocking noise in the engine now, it may have been there before but i never saw it. The noise only happens at 2500-4000 rpms, and only while maintaining speed/rpms in the engine. After 4000 rpms it only appears when accelerating. I can also make it happen in park by revving the engine and holding it at those rpms. Im afraid its a lower end knock in which case its time for the engine to go. But it doesnt sound nearly as loud as a typical rod knock. Heres a link to video. Not my video, but it sounds exactly the same.

Ive tried retarding timing, ive tested for connecting rod noise the only way i know how to, pulling plug wires 1 at a time to see if it lessens or goes away. Neither made any difference. It sounds to be on the driver side, and i can actually hear it better in the driver seat then i can next to the engine(i assume it is just echoing through firewall and engine/fan noise is covering it a bit otherwise.) oil change was done not 500 miles ago just before the rear end swap. Also, i went with synthetic oil.... i did some research online and didnt see anything wrong with that for these old engines.. but maybe i missed something? During the last oil change i saw no metal shavings in oil or anything either.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
that doesn't sound like a knock to me, it could be a small exhaust leak or lifter noise. What oil are you using and what is the oil pressure?

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
that doesn't sound like a knock to me, it could be a small exhaust leak or lifter noise. What oil are you using and what is the oil pressure?
10w30 synthetic. Cant remember brand name at the moment. And the pressure is about 20 at idle, 40 at higher rpms. Has been that way since i got the car. Its definitely not a exhaust leak, i just replaced header gaskets about a month ago cause there was a leak.

I dont hear this noise up high like a lifter tick, i hear is lower.. more down in the heads.

Edit: trust me, i want more then anything for this to be lifter noise/valve noise.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's not a heavy noise so when you checked it by killing one plug at a time if it was a connecting rod you would know it by the test. I'm not one to like additives but I like Sea Foam. I would add some Sea Foam to the oil and the rest of the bottle in the gas tank

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
it's not a heavy noise so when you checked it by killing one plug at a time if it was a connecting rod you would know it by the test. I'm not one to like additives but I like Sea Foam. I would add some Sea Foam to the oil and the rest of the bottle in the gas tank
Seafoam cleans crap out basically right? Ive never been one to use additives either so im sceptical, but i guess i could try it.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It is in a 307 engine?

Lifter or rocker arms?

86montecarlo307

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 11, 2017
Long island ny
It is in a 307 engine?

Lifter or rocker arms?
Its a 307, all stock heads and rockers. Im not sure on the condition of the lifters. I had intended on replacing the heads, intake, lifters, and push rods. But if this knock is deeper in the engine im not going to do it, ill just save the parts for a 350.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I'm a little confused with all the electronics on what is suppose to be a 71 307. Is this vid just for sound? It's a fast ticking like its in the valve train - I would start by checking and adjusting the overhead.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I'm a little confused with all the electronics on what is suppose to be a 71 307. Is this vid just for sound? It's a fast ticking like its in the valve train - I would start by checking and adjusting the overhead.
Its not his video....he just said it sounds the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor