New member, 80 malibu street/strip car

Status
Not open for further replies.

80Maliboo

Apprentice
Feb 26, 2010
Howdy everyone.

I am picking up an 80 malibu sometime during the week or next week. I was supposed to have it home last night but the guy I'm buying it off of has short term memory loss and is unfortunately very diffacult to deal with. He forgets when I am supposed to come get the car and gets flustered when I do get there. Ill be working through his mother until the deal is finished, as she can communicate with him better than I can.

The 80 malibu used to be a drag car (in some sense of the word), but still has full interior, and no cage. Im buying it as a roller, but it had a 400 based engine (dont know the actual cubes) and a th400 with t brake. It does have an 8.5 out of a GN, which is more than welcome. The car is light brown outside and light brown interior. Within a week or two, whenever time permits, I'll be painting it gloss black (along with all of the trim), and dyeing the interior black as well.

Currently the 8.5 rear has a spool and 31 spline :wtf: axles. I'll be removing and selling them and replacing that with an eaton (posi or trutrac) with a 3.73 gear attached to that, and moser 30 splines. My transmission guy, Chuck (at http://www.countywidetransmissions.com/ ... /index.htm) will be making me a BRF (maybe) 200-4r trans. I have not decided on the company for the converter yet.

I have a virgin 400 out of a 74 caprice thats going in. Just honed, 5.7 I beam rods, KB pistons, factory crank, studded main, 60104 lunati cam, afr elim 195s, etc. Should be assembled by mid May.

I hope to have the car together by mid June or July at the latest ( there are a couple of 4th of July parades I'm dieing to take part in)

All in all Im shooting for 11.50s on motor and 11.0, 10.90 on nitrous. Its going to be an 87 octane, low rpm cruising street car.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Welcome!

Attachments

• RockAuto.jpg
    RockAuto.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor