New member, First time gbody owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum. That's a solid looking Regal you found. It may be rare but like you already know, it's not fast and it would take a lot of resources to make it a real performer. An LS engine will definitely wake this old car up. If you plan on driving it a lot though I would recommend going with an overdrive transmission. Take it from a guy who drives a Monte Carlo with a TH350. Overdrive makes longer drives much better. If you want the strength of the TH400, a 4L80E is basically the overdrive equivalent. Any idea which LS engine you're gonna use? Definitely keep us updated with your progress. Consider starting a build thread when you get started. Good luck on your project.

Reactions: 1 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Last edited:

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
I am staying with the six cylinder only because the engine only has a few thousand miles on it and I want to be different.

That's what I like about this site. So many different people doing so many different things with these cars. Over on TurboBuick.com, seems like everyone is trying to do the same thing. And it's poignant, too, because it isn't the hottest thing anymore.

If you pull the engine pull the nock retard box out from under the dash and put it with the engine.

'79 Regal had the knock retard box on the fan shroud (visible in his underhood pic). Only your Monte had it under the dash.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Welcome to the forum. That's a solid looking Regal you found. It may be rare but like you already know, it's not fast and it would take a lot of resources to make it a real performer. An LS engine will definitely wake this old car up. If you plan on driving it a lot though I would recommend going with an overdrive transmission. Take it from a guy who drives a Monte Carlo with a TH350. Overdrive makes longer drives much better. If you want the strength of the TH400, a 4L80E is basically the overdrive equivalent. Any idea which LS engine you're gonna use? Definitely keep us updated with your progress. Consider starting a build thread when you get started. Good luck on your project.
Right now the plan is to get the engine pulled and an ls installed. I have been struggling with if I want to find the "right" engine and trans. Or just get whatever I can get the most complete for the cheapest and get the car set up and then in the coming year build an engine for boost and get a beefed up th400 or even 4l80. Since once I have every thing figured out on the install, it should be easy to stab another one in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Little more detailed pics. Around the rear fenders is rusted. Also one spot under the front passenger floor board is gone yet the rest of the underside has factory undercoating. My passenger door latch is not working currently. Plus from how it sat all the interior plastic has pretty much disintegrated. So my door cards are shot, the dash is cracked bad, along with none of my gauges work. The rear seat is trashed and driver side of the front bench is split and just about every seem. So I have my work cut out for me
0614172052.jpg

0618172349.jpg

Just wanted to see if the paint on the sides had any life left in them.

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
Little update, started draining fluids and disassembling the easy stuff off the front and top of the engine. Was finally able to get the car up on jack stands. Which enabled me to inspect the passenger side floor better. Or should say the lack thereof. Oh well, another thing to address.

Found a decent deal on an ls7 cam, so I picked that up. Still don't even have an engine to swap in. Ooops LOL. I am starting to seriously look though.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Just keep at it. You'll be making progress before you know it.
Welcome from Pgh. I know I'm gonna piss some people off, for me there isn't a Buick built in the last 50 years ( 70 GSX,GNs,and GNXs being exceptions) worthy of a restoration to original. As for the TH400 , last I read Chevy today , puts them in the new Copo Camaros. With they're parts availabilities, seems they feel it's they're strongest transmission for the job . STOCK is so boring . If you watch any of the big auctions, restomods bring a lot more money than stock .

street sweeper

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2017
Central Indiana
0720171416_HDR.jpg
0720171710.jpg

Got the engine pulled today. Any idea what this engine trans is worth? Turbo is blown. But have all the pieces that came with the car. Can't say that's complete but looks to be mostly there

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor