New Member-"Retirement is HEAVEN"

Status
Not open for further replies.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
sounds like we need an "Ask Dean" section in the forum now! i know i will be asking questions as my project moves on

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
welcome. Good to see another member from western PA. I'm from Altoona.

I have an 84 Grand Prix. I am doing a swap from the 231 V6 to a Chevy 350 V8. I need to get heads and cam for the engine. I bought a recently rebuilt motor from a friend. I just want to waken it up a bit.

deanz406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2007
Latrobe,Pa
RE: 12 Bolt installation.

Hi Tony SS-in response to your query about a 12 bolt install--OK here goes.I have always measured rearends from backing plate to backing plate.The stock G-body is 51".The 68-72 Chevelle,GTO,LeMans,Cutlass is 53" backtoback.The only changes I had to do was remove&reweld the shock mount bracket----and the upper ears for the trailing arms are spread out about !/2" more outboard on each side.Rather than cut them off & reweld-I cut a 1/2" pie shaped wedge at the center of the control arm(inside of arm), widest part at bottom of arm,apply a little heat from a torch,and bend inwards till the joint met,& reweld.This will align the rearend ear,with the body bracket.
Then move coil spring perches to the top of rearend tubes.With a stock style 7" rim the wheels are pretty flush with the rear wheelwell opening.If you use a wider rim,the wheel will protrude past the body line.If you have to use a wider rim,you may need to notch the frame rail-or go to a rim with 1" more backspacing(I think stock is 3 3/4".)All in all, it took me about 4 hrs to do the complete job.
I hope this helps-Good Luck,Dean

deanz406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2007
Latrobe,Pa
HEY Altoona--HI!!!

Hi Doug-and thanks for the welcome.Well u r practically a neighbor.Great ideas for u r GP,and u will love the difference the 350 will make in driving& performance.Keep us posted on u r progress--and if you need anything in the way of parts, or help, drop a line.Good luck, Dean

deanz406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2007
Latrobe,Pa
RE: My Profile.

I just wanted to let you guys know a little more about me.I didn't say much at the start of the subject,except what I have, SO-here goes.I spent my life in manufacturing,worked at Volkswagen here in W.Pa. for 11 yrs(till they closed).I went through retraining and learned the machinist trade,and worked at a machine shop making nuclear sub parts,on a milling machine.Did that for 6 yrs,and then they closed.
I have always had my mechanic skills to fall back on, and worked on cars as a hobby since I was 14.I did some car restorations,and landed a job at an aluminum foundry,and worked as a set up foreman on their trim presses for 9 yrs.Retired at 58--after a working career of 50 yrs.1st job-8 yrs old, carrying 140 newspapers for the local publishing co.
I raced in the mid 60's with a 65 Plymouth 426 wedge car in NHRA Super stock C Auto.Car ran 12.60's which was pretty quick then.Did that for couple years,started racing stock cars(dirt),and enjoyed building engines more than driving.I learned how to port cylinder heads from an old timer who knew all the tricks & secrets to a successful racing engine.
Today- I'm still porting cylinder heads(37 yrs), and I sponsor a racing family--a mom,dad,and 2 sons,another good friend,have my Regal to drag race,and build all their engines,as well as 4 regular stock car drivers,here in W.pa.Right now I am in the process of freshening up 4 drag motors,have 5 complete S/B Chevy engines built,and am going to try to have a total of 16 engines built by Easter.I started building&prepping last Sept. for this seasons engines,and work every day-usually 12-14 hrs-7 days a week.I LOVE IT!!
You know--I think that the key to having a fruitful& enjoyable career, is doing what you really enjoy doing,and looking forward to the next day.I have seen so many people who are so dissatisfied with their work,and that can make for a miserable life.For ME--I looked forward to each & every day that I went to work.Now that I am retired,I work on G-BODS. I think that is why I love these cars so much-they are so easy to work on-and each one of them always turns into a FUN project.
As I mentioned-if there is ever anyone who needs help with their car-let me know, and I will be glad to help.Thanks again, Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor