New motor in a 78 monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
It will fit. I am doing the same. I have a 78 as well. try and get a 1 piece RMS too. #638 are gen 1 small blocks, 87-95. almost everything is compatible with that. and you can put a roller cam in it with no mods or anything, even if it has a flat tappet now.
what heads can i use for that route? which are you using? does it have to be vortec heads?

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
Don't discount the 010 blocks. They can be converted to roller cams and some were machined for 4 bolt mains. If the budget allows look into a crate 383 or even a stroker kit to convert your 350 into a 383. I have a 406 small block that is headed for the car in my blue 79, Cannot beat the torque these engines have down low.
Aluminum heads are the way to go if you have the budget, I've had good luck with ported smog heads but know that a cheaper set of aluminum heads will always outperform a set of worked over smog iron heads.

Just my $.02!
Would i have convert everything else to aluminum? Radiator, waterpump, intake?

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Yes, and will my power steering and alternator need modifiying on a new block for that year? I work in a body shop and have some connects to machinists, so that helps with $. like i said im probably overthinking things but i want more info on how to go about getting what i want out of this car
I pretty sure it all will fit. Most of it bolts to the heads. So it might determine which heads you run, but I am pretty sure most heads are drilled and tapped the same. A serpentine belt setup would be a good upgrade, if you find a complete engine.

Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Would i have convert everything else to aluminum? Radiator, waterpump, intake?

Not necessarily, If your radiator is good use it, Water pump, stock replacement is fine, Intake....An aluminum upgrade is a plus but as long as what you have now will work with the heads your running it should be fine.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If this applies the biggest issue is making this a legal swap for your home state of California, this can really limit you on what you can do.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
882 heads are the most common heads to use on a run of the mill mild build. If you can, use Vortec heads though. Intake costs slightly more, but easily another 40hp over 882 heads with no other changes. Well worth the investment. MaNy articles on what to do to them to work with a higher lift cam. Really just springs and retainers. You're not going to crazy so you'll be under .500 lift so you don't need to do any machine work on them. Cheap Summit hydraulic camshaft or if you get a roller block, I suggest the old GM HOT cam originally designed for the mid 90's LT1 series engines. You'd easily be around 375hp with headers.

If I were you. I would switch the transmission over now and then do all of the exhaust work. That way your not changing a thousand things at once. You can get those all up and running, get all the kinks out, then do the engine. JMO

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Hi Mike - your looking @ a pretty easy swap just make sure you get all your ducks in a row. I assume your just lookin to build a street cruiser with a little more HP (how much?) The 3.08 gears are bothering me with an OD trans. With 20 in wheels your tire dia. is going to be in the 29in range which will put you around 1700 rpm @ 70 mph and you would have to walk softly on the engine build. A non OD trans would put you in the 2500 rpm range. Options have been brought up on the block and yes a roller is better than flat tappet BUT I am hearing budget and a roller is considerably more. Almost all my builds have been flat tappet and have never wiped a cam. Keep in mind that your drive train components need to complement each other. Buy this I mean your intake, carb, cam, converter, and rear end have to be sized right for hp and rpm you want to run. I think if you put pen to paper as to how much parts, machining, and time will be, a crate engine isn't a bad choice - done w/ warranty.

To bad you didn't lived closer to me I have an couple engines and 4 sets performance heads that might have interested you, due to health reasons I'm been trying thin out my parts - my poor Regal hasn't been out of the garage since a year ago Memorial weekend.

350 CHEVY - $500 (CANTON)
image 2 of 3

00R0R_1PbDERltWet_600x450.jpg

00K0K_sHUvIlSrIP_600x450.jpg

1 2 3

I have a 350 chevy 010 block w/ standard bore 4 bolt. Forged steel crank std/std which I sent out to Moldex to be checked and polished. Chevy x rods w/ domed pistons. Has a comps 306s cam w/ lifters all kept in order and a double roller timing set. Flywheel, melling 55hv oil pump, damper, oil pan and timing cover. $500.00 for all. Also have other SBC parts and 4 sets of performance heads

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Hi Mike - your looking @ a pretty easy swap just make sure you get all your ducks in a row. I assume your just lookin to build a street cruiser with a little more HP (how much?) The 3.08 gears are bothering me with an OD trans. With 20 in wheels your tire dia. is going to be in the 29in range which will put you around 1700 rpm @ 70 mph and you would have to walk softly on the engine build. A non OD trans would put you in the 2500 rpm range. Options have been brought up on the block and yes a roller is better than flat tappet BUT I am hearing budget and a roller is considerably more. Almost all my builds have been flat tappet and have never wiped a cam. Keep in mind that your drive train components need to complement each other. Buy this I mean your intake, carb, cam, converter, and rear end have to be sized right for hp and rpm you want to run. I think if you put pen to paper as to how much parts, machining, and time will be, a crate engine isn't a bad choice - done w/ warranty.

To bad you didn't lived closer to me I have an couple engines and 4 sets performance heads that might have interested you, due to health reasons I'm been trying thin out my parts - my poor Regal hasn't been out of the garage since a year ago Memorial weekend.

350 CHEVY - $500 (CANTON)
image 2 of 3

00R0R_1PbDERltWet_600x450.jpg

00K0K_sHUvIlSrIP_600x450.jpg

1 2 3

I have a 350 chevy 010 block w/ standard bore 4 bolt. Forged steel crank std/std which I sent out to Moldex to be checked and polished. Chevy x rods w/ domed pistons. Has a comps 306s cam w/ lifters all kept in order and a double roller timing set. Flywheel, melling 55hv oil pump, damper, oil pan and timing cover. $500.00 for all. Also have other SBC parts and 4 sets of performance heads
$500?1?1 Us Olds guys are :puke:right now! Enough to make ya sick inside!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor