New noise from olds 307 ticking/knocking/exhaust leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tz44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
I can't see the pan gasket being fun to do in car. I have been buying the Felpro conversion set. A bunch of gaskets for slightly more but just a regular cork pan gasket. I also used either the 292 Ford, the one Felpro sells as an Olds replacement or the AMC 6 or supposedly the AMC 360 seal. These are easy to install. What isn't easy to do is remove the rope seal. Too bad Olds didn't use these factory or changing the rear main would be doable with the pan off.

The Mahle gasket I have is a set of 4 I believe.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have Mahle oil pan gasket I found on rock auto. I can’t remember if it’s steel core or not I’ll have to check when I get home.
It will work fine. You can use a layer of RTV and glue it to the block and let it partially cure so it doesn't keep falling down.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'd still just check the bolt tightness first and see if that helps your leakage. THEN deal with changing the gasket if it doesn't help. Check them for tightness now because if you take the crossover pipe off, that would be the optimum time to replace the pan gasket, since it would have to come off anyway.

Still, have you located the renegade exhaust leak? Make sure you know where it is before just yanking off parts. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 1 users

Tz44

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2012
I'd still just check the bolt tightness first and see if that helps your leakage. THEN deal with changing the gasket if it doesn't help. Check them for tightness now because if you take the crossover pipe off, that would be the optimum time to replace the pan gasket, since it would have to come off anyway.

Still, have you located the renegade exhaust leak? Make sure you know where it is before just yanking off parts. Just sayin'.

I’ll definitely check the bolts before anything. I still haven’t been able to find the leak yet and with this bad weather I might not have a chance until tomorrow or this weekend. It does seems like the noise is coming from the gasket you talked about above the EFE. I can see pieces of it hanging out too so I figure it won’t hurt to go ahead and replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor