New Owner looking to Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Let me suggest you enjoy the car a little as is. No reason you can't take the car to the track as is and get some time in the seat and decide if you really want to do this. Sound like you want more than race with it which will effect how you build it. I don't know if you have put pen to paper but your going to spend well north of $25,000.00 to put a 572 in there and support it and that's doing the work yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I see the flatbed has a Cali phone number if you live there and have to pass emissions you can give up the dream of having a 572 BBC.

Reactions: 1 users

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
Super clean looking ride from the pictures. Whatever you do to it good luck. You mentioned something about opinions so i will happily give you mine lol. That car is really clean. I wouldnt have the heart to hack it up. With that being said if that's what you choose to do then go for it. We dont really know your budget or time frame for getting this stuff done but if it were me i would get a set of streetable wheels (THINK GNX - TRANS AM STYLE in gold) that will allow you to cruise it comfortably and not be the guy swerving around pot holes the size of acorns with those Donk wheels. Unless you like them then disregard what i said lol. Next would be to decide if this is something you want to be able to drive as you upgrade. If so then that will change the way you do upgrades. As far as upgrades go i will leave that to those with more experience than me. Im just a man with an opinion. Happy driving to you and welcome!

Greasy_Holly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2020
I see the flatbed has a Cali phone number if you live there and have to pass emissions you can give up the dream of having a 572 BBC.
I live there yes but I’ll be leaving at some point. Im in the military and the plus side is my permanent residence changes every couple years or so. Hopefully Ill go to the Carolinas next and get it reregistered there and not have to worry about emissions as much. I bought this off a guy who had an illegal cat(for Cali) on it and I had to get it changed to pass smog for the registration.

Reactions: 1 user

Greasy_Holly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2020
Let me suggest you enjoy the car a little as is. No reason you can't take the car to the track as is and get some time in the seat and decide if you really want to do this. Sound like you want more than race with it which will effect how you build it. I don't know if you have put pen to paper but your going to spend well north of $25,000.00 to put a 572 in there and support it and that's doing the work yourself.
I enjoy the car as is, got some basic maintenance and Im looking to do it all in one fell swoop. The 572 is more of a crack dream then anything. I love the car the way it is, its just severely underpowered. Ive put pen to paper for a couple different courses of action and I definitely wont be able to afford it anytime soon. Right now Im leaning towards a 454 plug n play from chevy with the transmission with it. That way i can change things as I truly figure out what I want to do. This is my forever car and I want to do her justice, just is overwhelming getting my foot in the door.

Greasy_Holly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2020
  • Love

Greasy_Holly

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2020
I was trying to keep my keyboard shut, but I'll make a suggestion. If you've never been on the track, start now; seat time is priceless. Plus, you'll get a baseline to look back on and chuckle maniacally to. Start at the rear; get some gears for now, or go ham on the diff to hold the future power. The gear change alone will put a smile on your face. Start a build thread; we like pictures.
I definitely will start a thread, and I post it to my instagram page for the car. Honestly the best advice Ive gotten since Ive started this. I was doing some digging and found many people when they upgrade power in any car really they put a Ford 9” axle in and then go off the diff accordingly for what they want from the car. Most guys say “just sell it” but they dont understand lol. Thank you. Really appreciate it.

Smack-it

Apprentice
Dec 31, 2018
Look dude, everyone has a different route to go fast.... start at the rear and work fwd is very good advice..... if you have real money. In drag racing the horse power will find the weak spot in your car... so my advice is upgrade the things you can.... and get the big block you want. But wrap your mind around a ton of broken sh*t.... that’s racing

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
LS swaps are cheap and easy yes, but everyone does an LS swap. And thats not to say there is a reason for it. I havent completely thrown the idea out yet but Im not too keen on it.
I think Fleming was being minorly sarcastic. LS swaps are anything but cheap and no where near as easy as swapping in a BB of any brand.
I agree with Fleming and lilbowtie, if you haven’t raced much, then do some before you drop the big dollar on building a race car. It’s really sound advice. For that matter, get into something with 400-500hp and be sure it’s what you’re after. Perhaps you already have, if so then disregard my comment.

It would be cool to see a Buick 455 with a Turbo 400 in it. Super easy to install and setup and an ‘almost budget’ 400hp. I agree with you that a 454BBC crate is a very good plan.

Best of luck and looks like you’re at a great starting point.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor