new stock exhaust Y pipe needed, 83 H/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Thanks for opinions and options. But did you read where I said this was for a low mileage all original 83 H/O?
Not to be a smart *ss but I am not looking to modify this almost perfect car. ( I have another car to butcher and chop)
I emailed Walker. They said to use a different distributor. That won't fix Walkers lack of quality control and shipping practices.
The welds are like a first grader did them, big gorilla welds. The bends are crinkled, the Y is not a Y, its a y. Drivers side pipe leaves off of the passenger. Who knows how big the hole is and how much is being diverted to drivers side.
Did i say it was stock?
Thanks to the ones who did help.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Hey, where are you at? I went true dual at 24K miles on my 442. Now, it is rusty, but usable and I still have it.

Not worth shipping though, me thinks. Anywhere close to Kansas?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Found the manifold pictures on the Forum. Slim pickins' on RockAuto. I suspect that's the cat-back Y-pipe.
307 manifold 2.jpg 307 manlifold 1.jpg 307 cross.jpg 307 Ypipe.jpg

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for opinions and options. But did you read where I said this was for a low mileage all original 83 H/O?
Not to be a smart *ss but I am not looking to modify this almost perfect car. ( I have another car to butcher and chop)
I emailed Walker. They said to use a different distributor. That won't fix Walkers lack of quality control and shipping practices.
The welds are like a first grader did them, big gorilla welds. The bends are crinkled, the Y is not a Y, its a y. Drivers side pipe leaves off of the passenger. Who knows how big the hole is and how much is being diverted to drivers side.
Did i say it was stock?
Thanks to the ones who did help.
Your best option may be to take it to an exhaust shop and have them reproduce the Y-Pipe for you if there is one near you that has a good reputation and you are comfortable with them working on your car. Communication will be key.

If you wanted to drive the car to Houston, there is a very good shop on the north side of town in Spring called Ripley's at Kuykendahl an FM 1960.

My only concern with having an exhaust shop build you a new Y-pipe is in regard to them having new flanges and gaskets. You would want to be prepared with your own gaskets (if required - it has been a long time since I worked on a 307) and flanges. Maybe you could part out a Walker Y-pipe for the flanges, or if they are cast iron, re-use the stock flanges?

I recommended Heartthrob since they work in aluminized pipe and do nice work. You might have to ship them your original equipment pipe to use as a pattern. Since no acceptable aftermarket pipe is available, they may be interested in reproducing the pipe and putting it on the market. Tell them there are still several thousand cars that take that pipe with owners who want the right parts. You might get a break since you would be helping them prototype the part. Heartthrob is outside Minneapolis.

Another idea is Stainless Works, if you wanted a stainless replacement. They are in Ohio.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I picked up a Heartthrob kit for the 72 K10. Everything fit as advertised. Actually made in the USA! Discovered them back in the day via JCWhitney when they used to carry parts for cars that old, and they make the G-body dual exhaust kits for Summit. I asked if they could make a behind-the-wheel tailpipe kit, and they could but the final shape requires an oversize box.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I picked up a Heartthrob kit for the 72 K10. Everything fit as advertised. Actually made in the USA! Discovered them back in the day via JCWhitney when they used to carry parts for cars that old, and they make the G-body dual exhaust kits for Summit. I asked if they could make a behind-the-wheel tailpipe kit, and they could but the final shape requires an oversize box.
Looks like I have an idea of what exhaust kit I'll be looking into.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I looked up the Walker part numbers for the whole 442 exhaust for my 86' regal 307 and ordered my Y pipe and tailpipes from Ebay vendors with the best price they all came bubble wrapped on all of the ends and even though they are not boxed they all came undamaged.
The fit was great with no issues.
IMG_1935.JPG

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I looked up the Walker part numbers for the whole 442 exhaust for my 86' regal 307 and ordered my Y pipe and tailpipes from Ebay vendors with the best price they all came bubble wrapped on all of the ends and even though they are not boxed they all came undamaged.
The fit was great with no issues.
View attachment 71370
But did the welds look like a Gorilla did them?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
But did the welds look like a Gorilla did them?
I would say more of a chimp, I actually don't recall seeing any issues with the welds if there were I would have rewelded them.

Reactions: 1 user

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
Texas82GP, I do plan to bring to local shop to reproduce, just haven't had time yet.
Great info on the Heartthrob kit, I'll check them out.
565 bbchevy Your Y weld looks a hell alot better than mine.
I'll try to upload pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor