New to forum 1st project 87 Monte SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPNFSM

n00b
Jun 5, 2009
Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Started my first project it's an 87 Monte Carlo SS. Stock 305 engine, q-jet carb, non stock air cleaner housing, custom flowmaster true dual exhaust (already on car when bought) moderate front end body damage, aprox. 139,000 miles.

I have already finished majority of the body work. entire nose/headlight, pass fender replacement. Almost rust free body. I'm not trying to build a street machine(yet, planning on swapping the engine when i can afford it) i'm just trying to get her reliable and legal (emissions and rusted floor boards didn't pass)

So here is the problem she starts up fine every time, but once fired up idles high around 2500-2800. After warmed up and put in gear (automatic) rpms drop to 500-700. Usually sputters then after 30-40 seconds stalls. Also stalls whenever coming to a stop. Checked the carb and my choke doesn't seem to move at any point during cold startup and normal running temp. Also checked all my plugs and wires all good.

Should i rebuild/replace the carb or what else could this be?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Welcome!

A carb rebuild sounds like it may be a good idea.
These cars are getting up there in age, and an original car has had plenty of time to build up gunk in the carb.

Also a good idea to check all your rubber vacuum hoses for cracks and leaks, since sometimes unknowing people will (mis)adjust a carb in an effort to try and compensate for a totally different problem.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome aboard.

CPNFSM

n00b
Jun 5, 2009
Awesome thanks alot i'm rebuilding the carb now and i did think of just replacing all the hoses anyway they could use a freshening up

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Make sure the choke pull-off works properly, and set the fast idle to specs. Also make sure the choke cams are free to rotate. I've seen many of these carbs with the choke setting way too rich. Carefully drill out the rivets holding the choke coil cover in place, and tap threads for machine screws. Then you can adjust the choke for optimum operation.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor