EL CAMINO New to the Forum/Just Purchased a 78 El Camino SS 350 4MT.

iflan84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2023
Indiana
Recently bought a 1978 El Camino SS 350 4MT project car and found this forum. I've always had Honda and Toyota projects but, as great as they might be, I'm done wrenching on complicated cars. I had a 1984 Regal and a 1985 Camaro IROC when I in high school and decided it was time to get something classic instead of my usual stuff. Went looking for another Regal for a project and found this instead. I love manual transmission cars and I couldn't pass this up.

It runs well and doesn't have much rust to speak of. I drove it home about 250 miles in 90 degree heat with no issues. All of the suspension bushings and engine/trans mounts are shot but all of the body bushing have been replaced sometime in the cars lifetime and are still in good condition (I can't believe my luck on that!!). Overall its rough around the edges but all the lights, blinkers, power windows, delay wiper and washer all still work. The A/C compressor has been removed and its stuck on defrost so I'll address that next after I get the running gear in good condition.

How rare are these 350 Manual Transmission El Caminos? I'm new to the forums and haven't had much time to search very long but I haven't been able to find out much outside of ~1775 total 4-speed El Caminos made in '78. All the other ones I have seen have been behind 305's. Did any of the other G-Bodys have a 350/Manual combo available from the factory?

20230823_155627.jpg

20230823_155810.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Looks like you have a nice starter. Tending to the steering, suspension and engine/trans mounts is a great first step. It will make a big difference on the feel of your Elky. There is plenty of help and knowledge here.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Welcome & nice find. Definitely not a common El Camino with the combination of options I see. You might even be lucky enough to have a 11" clutch which really hard to find.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Oh, I like that.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice ride, cool find. Welcome to the forum.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome to the forum, hell of a score you got

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
Had a '78 Black Knight manual shift one in the early 00's. Code 19, black. Gave up on it when found my current Chevelle and discovered how expensive it would be to restore the interior. Was Albuquerque car, so interior was toast. Sold it - as a running repainted example, with completely rebuilt drivetrain and brakes for under $5000. Was tough to sell, even on Ebay, which didn't work, sold it locally, to retired Airman in Alamogordo who wanted one to replace one he sold while in service. Have no idea if it was originally a six cylinder three speed on floor car, it did have factory AC. Was under impression all used a 10 1/2 clutch, with the "special" bellhousing, and dropped clutch fork. Production numbers of manual shifts was very low, something like 0.4 percent of total production, that's a number I've heard thrown around.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor