New User 78 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum. A barn find Monte Carlo, huh? That's cool. I like it.

Just a word of advice get rid of that air cleaner or keep a fire extinguisher in the car!!

I've actually had one of those air cleaners catch on fire before. I agree with TURNA, get a drop base and use it.

You'll find a lot of useful info and good people here. This is a great forum. We all usually get along here, unlike a lot of forums I've seen. Keep us posted on your progress on that Monte Carlo.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hello all im a new user and would like to introduce myself. When i was 15 years old I was helping my stepfather restore an old barn and parked inside of it was a 78 Monte Carlo at the time i had no idea what kind of car it was but i knew i wanted one identical to it for my first car. When we finished the barn I asked the owners about the car and managed to obtain the car in exchange for my value of the work done on the barn. The rims and tires on the car were completely gone, headliner was shot, driver seat was heavily worn and the trim on the sides of the car was missing in spots. The owners had told me the car had been sitting in the barn for about 10 years prior. I tooks it home and managed to put an old q jet carb and intake from a derby car 350 motor and managed to get it running. I replaced only what seemed to need it until i was 18 and the car broke a pushrod when a lifter seized. I completely rebuilt the 305 over the next 5 years tearing it apart and putting it back together a couple dozen times having starting taking it apart having no idea what i was doing. It took alot of trial and error before i finally got it right. (Honestly it took me buying a repair manual before i realized what i was doing wrong) drove it for another year before the turbo 200 finally went out. I ended up replacing it with a turbo 350 with some help. Another year later and i negan to have an issue with sticking valves. So i parked the car for about 5 years in a storage unit until recently. I pulled the 305 and replaced it with a 383 stroker, victor intake, aluminum heads, holley 750 cfm carb. , new tires, hooker long tube headers, 2400 rpm torque converter, late 350 weighted flex plate and swapped exhaust to true duals. It now sounds and runs like a dream but i still have work to do. It still looks rough and i plan on overhauling the trans and rear end before i even consider body or interior work.
Welcome to the site from Houston. Thanks for the proper introduction and back story. Cool story and cool car. Glad to see another one saved. Let us know how we can help. There is a great bunch of guys on here.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
Welcome to the site from Houston. Thanks for the proper introduction and back story. Cool story and cool car. Glad to see another one saved. Let us know how we can help. There is a great bunch of guys on here.
I forgot to mention im from illinois and so is the car.

Reactions: 1 user

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Welcome to the forum from Western New York and from a fellow 3rd gen owner!
Nice barn find, keeping it stock looking on the outside except for maybe wheels, exhaust , and that 'bad misfiring' 305 works well with this body style.
Just a suggestion on the air cleaner issue I run a Edelbrock Air Gap intake with a 750 Holley on the 406 small block in the 79 Monte Carlo in the avatar. I have a 3/4 carb spacer and a 14 inch diameter 4 inch tall K&N drop base air cleaner that tops it. To keep this all hidden under the stock hood the only modification was to remove the 'Bat wing' in the center of the hood for clearance. A 6 inch grinder, a metal cut off wheel, and a steady hand is all it took.
P1011945.JPG P1011946.JPG P1011947.JPG
Without the under hood insulation it almost looks like GM planed for this modification to be done.

Hope this helps!
Bob S.

Reactions: 1 user

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
79 USA 1 as enticing as it is to have something that large under the hood im hesitant to cut any form of hood support ive seen it done on a caprice and the hood buckled when it caught when closing. On another note what tires and rear end are you running under that 79? Im trying to figure out whether i would be better off installing an auburn gear in the stock rear end and go with a set of wider rear tires or find a whole nother rear end all together. I use this thing as a daily driver currently and planning on taking it yo a strip to see what it pulls from time to time on weekends so i dont want a permanently locked differential

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
Welcome to the forum! This is an awesome place!

My 79 monte I had 17yrs ago I had a sbc 355 with a performer rpm intake w/Edelbrock carb and drop base with no issues. 3" filter. Actually it was identical to yours, same color anyway.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
AxiumVlor
The main brace running across the hood is still intact. So far I have not had any problems with the hood buckling due to the majority of the brace still being there.
As for the rear end it still has the 7.5 rear the car was delivered with BUT.... was upgraded with re welded axle tubes, 28 spline KA axles from Toms Differentials, http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/ 4.11 Richmond gears on a Detroit Locker differential, steel left side bearing cap w/ 1/2 inch bolts, and a Summit support cover. While a 8.5 or 9 inch would have been a better choice this was all done about 16 years ago.
In the picture I have 28 x 11.50 15 Mickey Thompson ET Street tires on 15 x 8.5 Centerline Convo Pro wheels. Great tires for the track, scary as hell on the street!

All but the tires and wheels are destined will find a home in a 13,000 mile 79 Monte Carlo I picked up last year. The avatar car was a New York car all its life and the underside has the structural scars to prove it.

Bob S.

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
AxiumVlor
The main brace running across the hood is still intact. So far I have not had any problems with the hood buckling due to the majority of the brace still being there.
As for the rear end it still has the 7.5 rear the car was delivered with BUT.... was upgraded with re welded axle tubes, 28 spline KA axles from Toms Differentials, http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/ 4.11 Richmond gears on a Detroit Locker differential, steel left side bearing cap w/ 1/2 inch bolts, and a Summit support cover. While a 8.5 or 9 inch would have been a better choice this was all done about 16 years ago.
In the picture I have 28 x 11.50 15 Mickey Thompson ET Street tires on 15 x 8.5 Centerline Convo Pro wheels. Great tires for the track, scary as hell on the street!

All but the tires and wheels are destined will find a home in a 13,000 mile 79 Monte Carlo I picked up last year. The avatar car was a New York car all its life and the underside has the structural scars to prove it.

Bob S.
My car has its share of scars being from illinois winters are hell on cars here but its not too bad for its year driver side frame has car cancer ill be taking care of behind the driver side rear tire before i do any modification to the rear end. Im not planning on putting racing slicks on the rear end just wanting to find the widest possible street tire on it and covert it to posi trac the one wheel wonder thing honestly makes the car feel less than ideal on take off i find myself babying the throttle on take off to avoid wheel spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor