New User 78 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
A budget upgrade to the 7.5 is to swap in the 28 spline limited slip diff. from a 4th gen Camaro. Then new Moser 28 spline axles for a GN (stock axles for a 8.5). It makes it strong enough for everything but huge power and slicks. There is at least one member on here that has raced that setup without issue.

Here is some more inspiration for you....
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/78-monte-4-speed.63280/

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
A budget upgrade to the 7.5 is to swap in the 28 spline limited slip diff. from a 4th gen Camaro. Then new Moser 28 spline axles for a GN (stock axles for a 8.5). It makes it strong enough for everything but huge power and slicks. There is at least one member on here that has raced that setup without issue.

Here is some more inspiration for you....
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/78-monte-4-speed.63280/
Ok thanks by huge hp you mean over 1000? The motor i installed i had dyno tested before install is putting out 430 hp and 480 lbs of torque ideally id like to try and squeeze 700-800 hp out of it if possible but i will likely buy a second hood before i go that far if i decide to supercharge it my reason for not wanting to modify the orignal hood is i plan on my son learning on rebuilding the original 305 (possibly just turning it into a 350) for the car and reinstalling it all original and he takes over maintaining it when he proves he can do so (he is 5 right now and loves the car) and i get me something else to stuff my motor in

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Here is a side shot of the "new" 79 Monte Carlo. Has 15 x 7 front and 15 x 8.5 Torque thrust wheels, 235 60's in front and 255 60's in the rear.
The rears are close to the fender lip on the left side but with the air shocks the previous owner installed there is no fear of them hitting. I feel it close but should not hit.
I've also ran on the avatar car a 15 x 8 Corvette steel rally with a 245 60 15 which had no fitment issues.
09-11-16-01.jpg

The fact your son is into this car is awesome. We "blame" my Dad for getting my youngest brother and I into cars, but at the same time we ran with this as a hobby and now have been described as a "bad influence" on him. Dad's 89 Grand Marquis just turned 50,000 miles and has never seen snow!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor