next project-'83 Cutlass Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good, Ed.
It's good to see you making progress on your interior. I used a similar sound deadening material as you used. The stuff I used is actually a shredded denim with foil backing, like yours.
I must say the two tone interior is different, but it looks cool.
I'm glad to see that you went for the mass backed carpet...definitely worth the extra shekels.
You're absolutely right about headliner installers earning their keep. It's an involved process.
Mine came out okay, but there's areas that didn't get enough adhesive. I don't really feel like dropping the headliner again and breaking clips.
You're going to appreciate the extra insulation. It really helps quiet down the interior, besides keeping the heat at bay.
However, I still need to tint the windows. I can't do that until i replace the drivers glass which has some nasty scuffs in it.
Thanks for posting a video of your current endeavors. The dash looks great as well.

Reactions: 1 user

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Thanks Jack. My headliner work definitely does not have the 'pro' look, but it's OK for me, this was my 1st...and last - next time I'm going to a pro. I've always considered medium gray for the carpet and headliner, but this car is going to get a workout driving around the states one campground at a time and I figure I'm bound to spill some coffee or a burger...the dark will hide it better!

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jack. My headliner work definitely does not have the 'pro' look, but it's OK for me, this was my 1st...and last - next time I'm going to a pro. I've always considered medium gray for the carpet and headliner, but this car is going to get a workout driving around the states one campground at a time and I figure I'm bound to spill some coffee or a burger...the dark will hide it better!
Ed,
Doing headliners definitely takes a knack. The more you do, the better you get. The wagon headliner was the first that I've done. Not long after, i did the headliner in my '95 Olds Ciera. The Olds headliner came out great...go figure. o_O
I first had my wagon headliner done like 25 yrs ago by a pro. The fabric was faded out, but still hung on well after all these years.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I had a significant set back a couple weeks ago when the reverse/1st gear shell took it's leave...but I got it rebuilt and back in the car last Tuesday morning (I'm too old to be taking that trans out again, by myself, on my back). I finished the car (95%) last Thursday afternoon just in time to caravan to a show in Ocala Friday morning with some buddies.

The car won 1st Place (in class) ! Even though there was a righteous '58 Nomad at the show. Its very first outing and the first time it had been driven in months, the first time I'd driven it more than 2 or 3 miles since the trans was rebuilt. I got all tingly in my lower regions.

No hiccups at all, everything worked perfectly - even the 35 yr old clock in the dash - I averaged 20.4mpg and at 80mph it turns 2300rpm...I'm pretty happy with the car.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's great news, Ed.
I missed the Ocala show...too bad. Where was it held, at Garlits? I hope you took some nice pics.
Congrats on your 1st place win. I'm sure you're proud...rightfully so.
Your mileage is great. I guess you can attribute that to the overdrive trans and TBI. I'm jealous...2300 rpm @80mph. At 80 mph in my car I'm at about 3000-3100 rpm...just enough to be a bit annoying.
Overdrive here I come.

Are you and your buddy still on schedule to go camping around the state?

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
It was the annual Pumpkin Run on Castro Farms, really nice horse farm a bit west of Ocala...I'm guessing 300 or 400 cars. Surprised you weren't aware of it, being in your backyard. I've been going for a while, but the last 2 or 3 yrs about a dozen other El Camino guys have been making the trip as well. Neil brought up has wagon also. We were both sure the '58 Nomad would win.

I'm sure the mileage and rpm is directly the result of TBI and overdrive. If you are going to do overdrive in your car, get a 200-4r - mine has the 700-4r and the 1- 2 gear spread is much wider than I would like. I much prefer the 200-4r gear spread; it's what I have in the El Camino. 3 and overdrive are the same ratios on both.

No, we aren't going camping through the panhandle. We figure after the hurricane we'd be in the way more than anything, plus a lot of those campgrounds and areas we wanted to visit are pretty well wiped out. I hope all the tupelo trees are OK, love that honey from up there.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice work, Ed.
The car came out really nice. I also like the small LEDs around the headliner.
I have heard about Castro Farms show in the past...and yes, you'd think I was informed.
Thanks for posting the video...nice job.
I understand what you're saying about touring the panhandle after the devastation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor