next project-'83 Cutlass Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ed,
I might consider just cutting the springs a bit. I don't want the car "slammed", just slightly lower to close the excess gap between the top of the tire and fender edge.
I hope your wider Extreme wheels and tires don't cause any clearance issues. Those wheels will certainly look good on there.
I do like the way your car sits. It's not excessive, just right.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
oh, i agree! i think the drop is perfect, it's exactly what i wanted...and the reason i'm agonizing so over possibly needing to put an inch back in - if i want to use those wheels. i really, really, really want to use those wheels.

because the wheels are 8x16 i can't get any smaller than a 205/60 tire and have it look OK...i'd rather have 215/60. the tire you see is 205/60 and it rubs. from the mounting surface on the disc, backspace is 4 3/8" to the outside lip of the wheel (the front measurement is 4 7/8"), that's pretty deep and pretty wide. with a 205/60 the outside of the tire wall is exactly even with the outside of the wheel. the lip of the wheel is only 1/4" from the outside tie rod end, which is pretty darn close!

i am hoping the rear settles and drops a bit after a few thousand miles. the drop back there was in the 'i can live with that' range until i put the new KYB gas shocks in...they raised it back 5/8". i assume because there is virtually no weight back there. the front didn't change at all with those shocks, but there is an engine/trans up there.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ed,
You might want to look into a 55 series tire. But you'll have to make a determination between the 55 and 60 series height differential. It sounds like the tires are pretty close as it is. It's the fronts that would be the problem, not so much the rears.
What's the inside clearance like between the front rims, calipers, and tierod ends? Does it require a spacer?

Also, what springs are you using up front?

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Jack,

The springs are stock (the ones that came with the car). I have about a yard of clearance for the caliper and disc, no issue there at all. There is no spacer, because i only have about 1/4" clear to the tie rod I had wanted to use one, but it brings the tire too close to the outer fender.

The difficulty with a 55 series is 1) the tire size will mess up my speedometer, though I could use the 60 series on the rear I would prefer the same tire at all corners 2) the gap between the top of the tire and the fender well will open to the point the tire no longer has that nice 'tucked in' look...in which case I may as well raise the front an inch and use the 60 series. I don't want to raise it that inch if i can help it.

The whole thing is a mind bender...hence the agonizing I'm going thru. :) I'm hoping someone will jump in here with the 'magical cure' neither of us have thought of. Meanwhile, I just add more tears in my beer!

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I've been quiet for some time because I've done nothing significant to the car in some time. I've been driving and tweeking and it's a smooth dependable ride now. Recently my buddy Neil volunteered his shop and tools, so I got on with the next logical step!

Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks great, Ed,
Thanks for sharing your progress with us. Are you going to do a sequel of your continued progress? I'm anxious to see how the car looks like overall when it's wet sanded and buffed.
Don't feel bad, my roof shows a lot of dings and stuff...but you know what?...unless you tell people that it's there, they won't be looking for it.
Neil did a great job on it.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
I've been quiet for some time because I've done nothing significant to the car in some time. I've been driving and tweeking and it's a smooth dependable ride now. Recently my buddy Neil volunteered his shop and tools, so I got on with the next logical step!

Looks great, Ed,
Thanks for sharing your progress with us. Are you going to do a sequel of your continued progress? I'm anxious to see how the car looks like overall when it's wet sanded and buffed.
Don't feel bad, my roof shows a lot of dings and stuff...but you know what?...unless you tell people that it's there, they won't be looking for it.
Neil did a great job on it.

Neil does a helluva job on anything he puts together - after we built his '79 Malibu wagon in 2015 he put together a '77 GMC short bed stepside as a shop truck in 2016 (that boy just can't sit down!) - it is outrageous! fast, torque-y and really pretty, too.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I thought it was Neil with the '79 Malibu wagon. Does he still have it, and has he done anymore to it? He really got a lot done on that car in a short period of time....I commend him for that.
You might have to show us his '77 short bed pickup...

Reactions: 1 user

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
he still has the wagon, it's not going anywhere, he loves that thing and his wife enjoys all the 'thumbs up' she gets driving it around. i think she may prefer it to her current new car - here is the Feb '16 update after it was re-powered and on the road

Reactions: 3 users

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
this is the truck - the first vid is mid-build and the second is finished unit. i've driven it a couple times and it has bucket loads of torque PLUS if you pour the coals to it you'll get quite the surprise...it's epically fast! his friend Wayne did the paint in exchange for some work Neil did. he takes it to shows on the weekends and actually hauls parts, motors, sod, etc. during the week - the whole idea was 'work truck'.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor