NHTSA assaults 4th ammendment rights on MS highways

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Yes I know we are not supposed to be doing politics on here anymore but wtf is this. Are we going to sit back and let this become the status quo? I find this story disturbing. I think we should do something about this as a matter of fact so it just comes to a grinding halt hopefully without anyone having to get hurt. I for one plan on not cooperating with any type of effort as this I encounter driving wtf is this? I will not show a license or proof of anything at gunpoint unless proof I violated the laws of traffic let alone am I going to be assaulted with needles road-side at the rest stop on the interstate. This is bs and we the people should just do anything to put this to a stop right or wrong before we find ours sons and daughters discontinuing to enjoy the type of motoring freedom we only had wished to inherit them once upon a time. I guess the days of teaching 'defensive driving' are over and the days of 'bow down' are being ushered in. What's next UN checkpoints on the interstate?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /15767957/

JACKSON, Miss. — During this month's "No Refusal Weekend" in Mississippi, motorists who were suspected of driving impaired and refused sobriety tests could be ordered to submit to blood tests.

The blood tests were done by registered nurses on call at the jails after judges, who were notified beforehand of the initiative, determined that there was probable cause to believe drivers were impaired.

However, a Jackson, Miss., attorney says the process is nothing more than a way to circumvent state law.

"Search warrants are not supposed to be mass-produced stuff," said Kevin Camp, a criminal defense attorney.

The "No Refusal" initiative is funded by a grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. According to the most recent data available on the agency's website, nine states — Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Texas and Utah — conduct No Refusal initiatives.

Twenty-one other states have the necessary legal authority to implement the initiative.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 10,322 people were killed in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes in 2012. Those fatalities accounted for 31% of total motor vehicle traffic fatalities in the USA.

The No Refusal program is an attempt to get alcohol-impaired drivers off the road.

Johnny Poulos, director of public affairs for the Mississippi Highway Patrol, said there is not much difference between a "No Refusal" weekend and what takes place any day of the week.

"That officer has a legal avenue (of seeking a warrant from a judge) that they can take regardless of the 'No Refusal' weekend," said Poulos.

Under normal circumstances, however, the motorist is taken to a hospital for blood to be drawn if a judge issues a warrant for the test. During "No Refusal" weekends, a registered nurse is at a jail to draw blood on site.

Judges also are notified that the initiative is taking place and to expect a higher volume of calls.

Poulos said judges are always on call and available to issue warrants for blood tests, regardless of whether a "No Refusal" checkpoint is taking place.

Camp said he knows of judges and law enforcement organizations who have declined to take part in the initiative because of concerns over its legality.

Mississippi law dictates that if a person refuses to submit to a Breathalyzer test, "none shall be given," but that individual can be subjected to penalties such as suspension of a driver's license.

According to Camp's interpretation of the law, the "none" in "none shall be given" refers to all sobriety tests — breath, urine and blood.

The practice of obtaining warrants during these checkpoints "basically makes it so the whole refusal statute doesn't matter," Camp said.

Eight counties took part in Mississippi's "No Refusal" weekend Sept. 5 and 6. There were 152 DUI arrests made the first day and 31 blood samples taken in five counties. Thirteen of those samples were ordered.

Poulos said more "No Refusal" weekends will take place in the future.

"This is not to go out and harass people," Poulos said. "This is a safety initiative to bring attention to the fact lives are still being lost due to impaired driving."

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
^^^^ that's more what I was trying to say but I got carried away. This is clearly just an assault on freedoms of using public roadways.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
t01blaze said:
pontiacgp said:
here in Ontario refusal has the same penalties as impaired.....
I think it's the same here in NJ.

NJ has a automatic consent law, anytime you drive on a NJ road you automatically consent to a sobriety test. You forefit the right to refuse such a test. Long ago the government has said driving is a privilege, not a right which is a lie they come up with, http://www.realtruth.biz/driving/supremecourt.htm

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I think automatic consent should end somewhere at my skin being pierced by a needle and the breathalyzer test. I fail to see how even a die hard right wing Republican could stand for these encroachments on freedoms we had taken for granted a long time. Also, since anyone can get a license without 'qualifying' I disagree that driving is a 'privilege' and not a 'right'. That's stupid. If driving is really a privilege than we should have a system where we are able to disqualify drivers based on lack of skill/ knowledge or mental illness - but we don't... So until we have a system like that in place how can you say driving is a privilege not a right when I watched a bunch of special education teachers showing retarded people with iq's of less than 85 how to drive back in just 2004 when I was in High School. Also, the driver's test gets passed by thousands of hispanics who don't know English but yet they still pass the driving test. If you disagree though, go ahead and bend over. Start prepping for all the white dicks the senate and house are about to start shoving up your asses if you like it so much.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You are born with rights and obtain privileges as you go through life. If it is your right to drive then I guess you're good to go with unsafe car while smoking a joint after you drank a case of beer

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
pontiacgp said:
You are born with rights and obtain privileges as you go through life. If it is your right to drive then I guess you're good to go with unsafe car while smoking a joint after you drank a case of beer

Ah, yes, but with rights come responsibilities, the other side of the coin we usually don't want to look at.... and with that I will be moving this into Off-topic btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor