Nitrous or Supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A Procharger is a fabulous race piece, but I'm yet to see one that could be considered street friendly. They are definitely a more of a user friendly install though than a turbo install.

Something to consider if you want to spend 98% of your time on the street or actually put 5-10K miles a year on your ride. My opinion of course ;)

Really? I have a D1SC on my TBSS and that is a four season daily. Fires right up in -40*C or +40*C.

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Hmm... street blower only made 200hp less than the race blower.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Really? I have a D1SC on my TBSS and that is a four season daily. Fires right up in -40*C or +40*C.

Anything can be done - where there’s a will there’s always a way. Just cubic $’s more than a nitrous kit imo (‘mo’ - my opinion - don’t shoot me for it lol.)

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Hmm... street blower only made 200hp less than the race blower.

The race kit doubled the NA hp (750 NA). The race blower made around 30% more than F1A. So if they had started with a cam’d and header’d 5.3 at 400hp NA, then it would’ve made approx 700hp with the F1A. Equating to approx 600-625 whp in my example. That’s nothing to scoff at, but will cost more than double of a turbo build making the same and more than 6 times the cost of nitrous setup for the same hp level.
To each his own, and I mean that without any sarcasm. Procharger’s are FABULOUS, just not the best bang for the buck if ‘bang for your buck’ is a concern. It’s not a concern to many.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The race kit doubled the NA hp (750 NA). The race blower made around 30% more than F1A. So if they had started with a cam’d and header’d 5.3 at 400hp NA, then it would’ve made approx 700hp with the F1A. Equating to approx 600-625 whp in my example. That’s nothing to scoff at, but will cost more than double of a turbo build making the same and more than 6 times the cost of nitrous setup for the same hp level.
To each his own, and I mean that without any sarcasm. Procharger’s are FABULOUS, just not the best bang for the buck if ‘bang for your buck’ is a concern. It’s not a concern to many.

As someone who has built every(?) kind of SBE LS combo there is turbo, supercharged, H/C/I+spray I wholeheartedly agree the biggest return is in a turbo. However it has the most complexity and takes the longest amount of time to produce - especially if you are unskilled and learning. Also, there are some platforms that don't take turbos with particular efficiency due to packaging constraints.

H/C/I builds are a waste of money, and nitrous is only fun in the moment.

The Procharger gets you a 90% solution in a weekend. Time is money to some.

I am still looking for another centrifugal blower for the wagon... but, I'd take a PD blower too.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a 2.9L 8 rib Kenne Bell for a cathedral port LS, specifically for a Corvette in my garage. The one thing preventing me from installing is my concern over heat. Dude I got it from claimed 600whp on a FRC C5, so a stock LS1. That was probably it for one pull, then significantly less on the next as he was making 15# and the thing has a patheticically small, restrictive brick to cool the charge. If my car had a cam in it (on the shelf) and made around 420whp before the blower I should be able to make 600whp with less pulley and ideally less heat. I think 600 is a good stopping point for a stock bottom end GenIII. But OP has a 408, how built is that and why was 600whp your target if I may?

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor