No air from vents

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Pagrunt, (or anyone else) I have a question for you. I did the heater box mod as suggested in your post. Just waiting on a fresh heater core…

I am looking at the existing core/ductwork. I see that if the blend door is open to COLD, the door covers the core and directs air into the ductwork. However if the blend door is set to HOT, the ductwork is blocked off?? The other side of the core seems to just dead-end inside the box ????
What’s wrong here?
From the flow diagrams in my service manual it'll flow into what looks like a void/dead space but is where the floor & defrost feed off of for heating.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
From the flow diagrams in my service manual it'll flow into what looks like a void/dead space but is where the floor & defrost feed off of for heating.
Ok thank you. There does happen to be a small square hole in that void space so that must be it.

So is heat only a function of floor and defrost or will it blow thru dash vents too?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Ok thank you. There does happen to be a small square hole in that void space so that must be it.

So is heat only a function of floor and defrost or will it blow thru dash vents too?
On heat you'll get 80% of the air flow to the floor & the other 20% to the defroster. On defrost it'll be the other way around. Vent will get simular 80% center vents/20% floor. System defult per how the Astro Ventilation functions is the floor & defrost vents has equal air floor when the function lever is OFF (kind of a safety feature incase somethimg isn't working on the vacuum side so there is some heat flowing, poorly, in the cold weather). Dash center vents only work when in VENT & all A/C modes. Outer vents are A/C modes only. Floor vents will be flowing regardless of the mode, just amount of flow depens on which mode is selected.

Reactions: 2 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
On heat you'll get 80% of the air flow to the floor & the other 20% to the defroster. On defrost it'll be the other way around. Vent will get simular 80% center vents/20% floor. System defult per how the Astro Ventilation functions is the floor & defrost vents has equal air floor when the function lever is OFF (kind of a safety feature incase somethimg isn't working on the vacuum side so there is some heat flowing, poorly, in the cold weather). Dash center vents only work when in VENT & all A/C modes. Outer vents are A/C modes only. Floor vents will be flowing regardless of the mode, just amount of flow depens on which mode is selected.
Thank you. Heat works mint now

Attachments

• F21AD790-D8A1-4FF5-AAE1-D6BBF59E3D8F.jpeg
    F21AD790-D8A1-4FF5-AAE1-D6BBF59E3D8F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • CB707B19-BA6F-4FA8-9ABE-9CCC01DBB456.jpeg
    CB707B19-BA6F-4FA8-9ABE-9CCC01DBB456.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 393C6C2D-9712-4C49-864B-527B5687E7B5.jpeg
    393C6C2D-9712-4C49-864B-527B5687E7B5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor