No forward gears

michael_boomin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2020
My 1978 elco with a th350 trans is not moving forward. Reverse works fine , will not move in drive. I’ve recently changed the trans filter, pan and kickdown cable. Fluids have been filled. After looking around on the internet for issues I’ve seen there is a chance there it is the vacuum modulator or the forward clutches. If anyone have solutions or ideas that would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8453.jpeg
    IMG_8453.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Sure you put enough ATF in it? Not likely to be the modulor valve as it mostly deals with shifts while the care is moving or if you attempting to do a hard acceleration to pass another vehicle. When you dropped the pan and dumped the oil, was there any debris in the pan bottom? How much grey sediment was on the pan floor?
When you changed out the filter, did the O-ring for the old filter come out with it or did it stay behind? Do you have the old filter to check and see? If the O-ring stayed behind then the filter did not sit down tight and the ATF may not be getting pumped through the circuits correctly??

Nick

michael_boomin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2020
Sure you put enough ATF in it? Not likely to be the modulor valve as it mostly deals with shifts while the care is moving or if you attempting to do a hard acceleration to pass another vehicle. When you dropped the pan and dumped the oil, was there any debris in the pan bottom? How much grey sediment was on the pan floor?
When you changed out the filter, did the O-ring for the old filter come out with it or did it stay behind? Do you have the old filter to check and see? If the O-ring stayed behind then the filter did not sit down tight and the ATF may not be getting pumped through the circuits correctly??

Nick
there was no debris in the pan and the filter had some sediment but nothing concerning as far as size or quantity. I did this a while so I don’t remember 100% about the o ring. I’m pretty sure it came with some so I probably put it in there. Also there is a whining noise coming from around the trans when it goes into reverse. I also changed my trans cooler lines around that time because there was a pin hole in one of the lines.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor