Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
How about the "Gauges" fuse?

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
Gauges fuse is good that was the first thing I checked. everything is getting power as far as I can see just no readings I know my temp sender is prob bad have a new one in the tool chest just really would like the gas gauge to work I dont wanna drive it and not know if I'm gonna run out of gas lol real headache the only thing I can think of that I'm missing is the fuel pump relay under the hood. I was gonna cut and splice one in from the junkyard I just don't know if that will solve my problem

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Don't believe there is going to be a fuel pump relay on an 85,it would have still been a mechanical pump as it was equipped with a Quadrajet.

This is why buying the OE shop manual is a smart move, will include the wiring diagrams and troubleshooting flow charts.

Closest one I have is an 83

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I would also make sure there is a good ground path from batt to engine, engine to body, batt to body, engine to frame. There are also grounds at the underside of the dash where it bolts to the hinge pillar. Many of these get removed when previous owners "improve" things.

• Agree

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
I would also make sure there is a good ground path from batt to engine, engine to body, batt to body, engine to frame. There are also grounds at the underside of the dash where it bolts to the hinge pillar. Many of these get removed when previous owners "improve" things.
the car was fuel injected the over the head visor has the factory label telling you not to pump the gas pedal because the car is fuel injected but there is a mechanical pump now

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The only 2 relays I know of for these cars are the high speed blower, power doorlocks, and the rear defrost timer.
I just don't get where people just start randomly cutting wires in the name of speed; I mean, if you can't confirm what it does or how it works, leave it the fvck alone! :rant:

• Agree

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
I know the fuel relay got its signal from the oil pressure unit atleast thats what a diagram says so I'll start there today and see if I can loop some wires to get s reading but I will deff check my grounds

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sorry, I was thinking SS car. I guess it was a 4.3 originally?

• Agree

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
Trust me when I realized he cut the harness I was sooooo pissed even though its not fuel injected anymore the car is still set up for it you need those wires and plugs I hate hacks they don't deserve to touch a wrench
Sorry, I was thinking SS car. I guess it was a 4.3 originally?
I'm thinking it was the 4.3 originally as well but I'm not sure guy I got it from gave me no real info except where the motor came from and what transmission is in it

Steve-R0828

Apprentice
Apr 16, 2019
I appreciate the help by the way guys I moved to nh and all my car buddy's are in mass so its nice to hear the opinions of ppl who know what they are talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor