No oil pressure in Buick 455

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Haven't assembled a Buick motor in a while, but on the ones I've done, I've always needed the Vaseline to get oil pressure. Also, IIRC, the rotation was CCW, so you need a heavy duty reversible drill to get some pressure generated.
Did you buy the pump package with the longer gears and the spacer? I consider that a must-have with a Buick. As mentioned before, the aluminum housing wears, increasing the clearance and limiting pressure output. The longer gears are a band-aid fix, but the only solution outside of a new front cover. Unfortunately, many of the fine benefits of a Buick V8 are offset by a horrible oiling system.

Bill

sum_cut

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2011
Greer Sc
Thanks to everybody that commented. I got it to work last night. I packed it with vasilene and used the drill to turn it and it worked perfect. It ran with a PSI of 60, dropped down to 55 after it warmed up. BUT wokenup this morning car cranked right up but no oil pressure? Took the distributor out again primed it with drill again and now I have oil pressure... Again. But why would it not have it this morning is what I can't figure out?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if that happened then it's your filter....take a look at the filter and make sure that you can see the rubber back flow valve through the holes on the outside rim....if there is no valve to stop the flow then the filter drains and you have to prime the pump again with the vaseline. The oil in the filter is used to prime the pump on a start up

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
You must do the vaseline trick. When I got the stuff for my motor from Poston Buick back in the day, they included the specific instructions of using vaseline to prime the oil pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor