No Power To Starter Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
No transmission. What will you be installing, automatic or manual? For the autostick, the neutral switch is located down low on the steering column, about half way to the firewall and just past that socket of wires. Think you might have to test the neutral circuit to see if, when the key is in the "On" Position, there is power at the plug in socket that attaches to the switch. No power means no neutral and no melody in the Key of "E" when you turn the key to start.

If your T is a manual then the location for the neutral is different, It typically can be found below/behind the clutch pedal and is a plunger switch that the pedal arm must completely depress in order for the switch to be active and the starter to work. Again, you have to turn the key switch to run/On and do a power test to see if current is coming to the plug.

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
No transmission. What will you be installing, automatic or manual? For the autostick, the neutral switch is located down low on the steering column, about half way to the firewall and just past that socket of wires. Think you might have to test the neutral circuit to see if, when the key is in the "On" Position, there is power at the plug in socket that attaches to the switch. No power means no neutral and no melody in the Key of "E" when you turn the key to start.

If your T is a manual then the location for the neutral is different, It typically can be found below/behind the clutch pedal and is a plunger switch that the pedal arm must completely depress in order for the switch to be active and the starter to work. Again, you have to turn the key switch to run/On and do a power test to see if current is coming to the plug.

It came with and will be an automatic trans. Ill check that out also. When iGet off work it'll be dark and cold. I might mess with it tonight. Also iDidnt mention yesterday that nothing happens with key in ACC position.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you have no power on ACC then you trace down that problem and then see what you have. I think you said you have power going to the ignition switch so it could be the switch is causing the problems.

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
if you have no power on ACC then you trace down that problem and then see what you have. I think you said you have power going to the ignition switch so it could be the switch is causing the problems.
Hope so. iTotally forgot all about that ACC part. iWas doing so much yday. Thanks everyone for the direction.

Reactions: 1 user

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
Not that I saw.
Check the reds at the ignition switch. If no power, go to fusible links.
iWill do that. iAssumed the switch was fine and powered bc iChecked the cables at the starter, but realized besides the fusible links the battery cable is there also and is probably what gave me the voltage AND bc the pink ignition cable from the bulkhead iUsed for my new fuse block had power also. Do the reds, pink, alt, coolant, oil, and all those on that bulkhead all come from the ignition switch? Or are they separate?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Not that I saw.
Check the reds at the ignition switch. If no power, go to fusible links.

I took this to mean he had power cause it was a reply to my post where I suggested he check the power going to the ignition switch...

Yeah iGot that page. That and some more helped me figure out what cable was connected to one of the fusible links. Everything has power except the purple wire. I’m lost.

YungFlip43

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2018
I took this to mean he had power cause it was a reply to my post where I suggested he check the power going to the ignition switch...
I'm getting lost again. GP what should be powered from the juice from those red cables? I have a bunch of those screenshots from Malibu's site. From what im seeing all the cables on the bulkhead should work when looking at the ignition switch diagram. Again iASSUMED it had power since my dash, and radio, and ignition wire were working.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
1 of the fusible links powers the high speed blower relay and part of the ignition switch; the other is the ignition switch, and all appear as red 12ga. wires at the ignition switch. There is a 3rd for the alternator charge sometimes. Drop the dash, and use your test light at the ignition switch; it's easier that crawling under the car to check fusible links.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought you said nothing on the dash was working on on ACC......do you have power to the dash when in run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor