No start problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Not always. I had the fusible link short in a 68 Camaro when I swapped from points to HEI. That b*tch wouldn't start no matter what I tried.
Finally asked my father in law for help. He looked under the hood for a bout a minute, ran his fingers over the link and told me it was blown.
He was right. I swapped in a piece of regular wire and never had anymore trouble

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the battery cable and another red wire going to the big post on the starter. I have another wire on one of the small posts. Maybe the single wire is on the wrong post? And I’m not to sure what a backdrive linkage is? Sorry still learning.

the small purple wire goes to the S terminal, not the I termimal

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
the small purple wire goes to the S terminal, not the I termimal

Beat me to it by 2 minutes.

The solenoid will be labeled I (ignition) and S (start) on the 2 small terminals.

There is a ground strap at the back of the engine that I think is typically bolted to the cylinder head, but could have been moved to a bell housing bolt at some point... make sure that is still hooked up. You need to have a 4ga cable from the negative terminal on the battery to the alternator bracket (or anywhere on the engine really,) a small wire from the negative terminal to the body (usually the fender,) and a fairly heavy ground strap from the firewall to the back of the engine

Also, how are you testing for voltage at the starter?

Reactions: 1 user

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’m checking for voltage on the starter by putting the positive lead on the big bolt and negative lead somewhere on the frame or block. I may have the purple wire on the I terminal instead of the S. I’ll have to have a look at that. From what I can see I have all the grounding wires attached, I didn’t take any of them off before I started the trans swap and everything ran fine before.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you check the voltage from the battery to the engine and that is good then from the B terminal on the solinoid to the engine and if that is not close to being the same you have a problem with the battery cable to the starter

Supremeone

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Figured out the wire was on the wrong terminal. Moved it to the S terminal and when I had it the starter about half tight the mounting ear broke off lol. Hopefully get a new one in the next couple days. I’ll let you guys know if it was just that issue when I get the new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor