Noob from Ontario, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunc6666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Just fired up 355 SBC in an 86 Regal. Next on the list is a QP 9" Ford currently on the bench. Posted some build pics in the Gallery from last 1-1/2 years. We have used the site a lot during the build. Hope to be able to share some of our experiences over the next while.

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
Hey!
Another Ottawa guy!!
Welcome aboard.
Do you go to any of the cruise nights around town?
I'm always at the Wednesday night one.

dunc6666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Just finishing the major items in the next few weeks. 3 generations in on the project. I'm the Dad. It's my sons car and his Grandad is the engine builder. Its been a bonding experience, to say the least. We'll be in Merrickville - not sure if the car will be done. My Dad has a chopped '55 wagon.

dunc6666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Jeff: Ya, actually I was there with him. I remember talking with you about your car and the Sen's. Heatly sucks!

dunc6666

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Blake: Noticed your blower fan mods. Was that sheet metal you riveted into the housing? I just put some Edelbrock tall valve covers to clear roller rockers on SBC and they were into the housing. Cut the fiberglas and black duct tape for now but I will need a permanent solution. How much clearance to the fan wheel? Nice rides.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
dunc6666 said:
Blake: Noticed your blower fan mods. Was that sheet metal you riveted into the housing? I just put some Edelbrock tall valve covers to clear roller rockers on SBC and they were into the housing. Cut the fiberglas and black duct tape for now but I will need a permanent solution. How much clearance to the fan wheel? Nice rides.

Thanks! I like your Regal!

I made my cuts in the box, then I mocked up how I was going to fill it with some poster board and masking tape. I think I still have those somewhere. I then took those pieces, and replicated them with some tin I bought at Home Depot and bent them up. I had to make one of the pieces in two parts, then rivet it together. Then I painted them semi-gloss black, sealed them up with strip-caulk and riveted them in place.
I did it that way instead of fiberglassing it because I wanted to keep the original look of the heater box. If I had been glassing and sanding all over it, I would have had to paint it. Instead, I just cleaned it up with mineral sprits, and gave it a few coats of rattle can clear.
The clearance between the fan is at the absolute minimum. I Cut the edge of the flange for the blower motor pretty much right up against the squirrel cage. The flat piece that fills it actually bows out slightly to keep it from rubbing.

Here's a pic of my cut in the main housing. The big piece of black electrical tape is covering up where I cut too far. It's hidden behind the blower housing.

3895230083_medium.jpg

And here's what my blower housing looks like.
3895230084_medium.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor