Nostalgia Small Block (283)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I was wondering about this project this morning. Good to see the update. BTW, Cade probably already knows those words you didn't want to teach him. They key is teaching proper application and inflection of said forbidden words :wink: .

'66chevyfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2007
SE Wisconsin
Great project!! I love 283's, had one laying around forever out of a '66 Impala. I had intentions of rebuilding it for my dad's '66 Chevy Truck. He sold the truck, and I then traded the engine for a welder.

Nice to see the young man taking an interest. I really like that he has his own tools, and takes care of them properly. My biggest pet peeve is someone not taking proper care of and not putting tools away. I deal with it everyday at work, the guys misplace tools constantly. Then they come and ask me for another one, or where the one they had is. I get so angry I just want to fire them for stupidity. I've warned them all that if I ever catch them in my toolbox hands will get broken.

Tom

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
It’s been a while since I updated this. The block and crank are still over at my friends machine shop…. the block been cleaned and rods resized, he’s currently pretty busy with other stuff so it’s waiting it’s turn for boring and decking which is OK as I’m not in any big hurry.

Cade and I have been working on some of the other small stuff. As this is pretty much to show Cade how stuff works, I decided to go ahead and rebuild the water pump so he can see how they work. It also happened to be the right casting for a 1957-61 small block (without the drilled boss on the top) and is a fairly valuable core.

It’s been 40 years or so since I rebuilt one of these and it was kind of fun. Cade likes using the press and it is kind of nice to have an extra pair of hands when getting everything lined up. He still needs to add a few inches in height though.

With the water pump done we moved on to stripping the carburetors off the intake and getting them apart for rebuilding.

And that’s where we are right now. With any luck we should have the carbs done and finished up by next weekend. Then all that should leave to do before the engine gets back is converting the Mallory dual point to electronic ignition.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
There's probably only a small handful of guys on this site that can say they've rebuilt a tripower setup. I hope Cade knows how lucky he is.

plmberkevin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2013
Thats great my son is 12 and have been in the shop when he started walking lol
Is that a 38 chevy pick up in the one picture?

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
DRIVEN said:
There's probably only a small handful of guys on this site that can say they've rebuilt a tripower setup. I hope Cade knows how lucky he is.

Agreed. Or a generator for that matter.

I tried to involve my 8 year old as much as possible when rebuilding the Nailhead in my 66 Wildcat. He seemed more interested in drinking all the soda in the extra fridge and what was on the t.v. instead of participating. I guess that's what I get for mounting a t.v. for football in the garage. Maybe I should have started earlier, lol.

Good job on getting the kid into the hobby.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
Kevin the truck in the background is my 37 Dodge. It’s been an ongoing long term project and still waiting on a rearend swap.

Cades’ been coming out to the shop with me since he was old enough to walk too. As his Grandpa’s (me) is an old hot rodder with a couple of neat toys, I think he just kind of takes this stuff for granted right now (doesn’t everybody have a couple of old HEMIs and a hand full of multiple carb engines laying around LOL). I think he’s pretty typical for his age though, some days it’s pretty hard to get his nose out of video games or the TV .

I like the idea of starting him out on this old tech 283 so he gets an understanding on the basics of how thing work and work together. It’s a lot easier when he can see things like the mechanical linkage on the carbs and an accelerator pump shot or points opening and closing. Once he gets a firm grasp on the basics….. if he’s still interested we’ll start doing stuff with more modern fuel injection and computer controlled engine management systems. Being raised in a world of computers it should come fairly easy for him.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
Just a couple of update pictures of the completed Tri Power.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor