not running like expected at the drag strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
try some spacers at the track that should help the top end. it might hurt the bottom end but only slightly.

like others have said. check to make sure the secondaries are opening up.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Well i had a 9.5 sbc 350 with iron 185 heads ,comp 292h cam ,victor jr intake and a 750 on top. Also had a 3200 stall with 3.42 gears in a cutlass best the car went was 12.23@ 110.

So that being said i would go single plain intake and possible a bigger cam seeing how you have a great set of heads its possible they are to big for your smaller cam. By the heads being bigger you are not acheiving max air volocity so the heads are not letting your motor run to it full potential on top end. Your timing is probably a little on the low side try 34-36 total and see what happens.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I don't have much experience with the Holley vacuum secondary carbs... Are they spring opperated? Is it a simple mater of changing out to a looser spring?
... what kinda vacuum is required to have secondaries fully open on a Holley 750?

have considered a mechanical secondary carb?

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Hi get a converter it is killing your 60ft big time and timing all in at 31 not a big help.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
larryo454 said:
Hi get a converter it is killing your 60ft big time and timing all in at 31 not a big help.
correct... the more timing advance, the more you take out of your top end...
... try going 20 deg idle timing, or set it to 34 @ 3500rpm

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
Not really sure what I gained from that but my 83 has a 750 vacuum secondary carb and even after trying several bigger and so called better carbs I have always resorted back to the trusty ole 750 vacuum on this application anyway.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
I had a similar problem, and r you running a drop base air cleaner? and how tall is the air cleaner element. my problem was the air cleaner top was to close to the carb and was robbing me of almost a full second. just for grins take your air cleaner off and see what happens.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
i would also look into upgrading the rear suspension, like some better control arms and better bushings, alot of g-bodys respond well to rear suspension mods. And definitively check out the stall, probably want like a 2500 stall converter

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
For some reason when I posted the above comment, the link to the video was the only thing showing up for me. The first page wasn't even here..... But now I see what it was meant for.
Anyway, I think you will benefit more from a higher stall converter than anything else. However, you are then creating traction issues if you are running regular street tires. More stall and a set of slicks.
You said the engine just doesn't pull past 4000 rpm?? Does it not rev much past that or just quits pulling??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor