notching factory crossmember

Status
Not open for further replies.

81_2dr_bu

Greasemonkey
Sep 9, 2008
mass
was thinking of having it notched for dual exhaust was gonna install it and mark where it needs to be notched then remove it cut section out the bring to be welded just not sure if after welding if it will mount in properly or would it be best to notch the install then weld i could tac it with my wire feed welder then bring to a welder thanks for your help

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I seen a freind of mine roughly mark his placement of the exhaust, notched it 4" with a ginder, then welded in a section of 4" U-Channel and cut the ends back off flush with the crossmember. Looks really neat and almost factory. Did it all with a 4.5" grinder and a stick welder

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
axisg said:
I seen a freind of mine roughly mark his placement of the exhaust, notched it 4" with a ginder, then welded in a section of 4" U-Channel and cut the ends back off flush with the crossmember. Looks really neat and almost factory. Did it all with a 4.5" grinder and a stick welder
a buddy of mine has notched several this way, except he used 6" channel. leaves a little more room in case you measure it wrong. :D

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008
81_2dr_bu said:
heres the pic not the nicest job done but came with a car i bought and it had 3" straight pipe
crossmember001.jpg

Forget the cross member, I like the 2 liter pepsi bottle wind mill

slone56

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2008

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
slone...that is a nice set up but the price for some square tubing and some plate steel mig welded seems kinda pricy. It's not an overly difficult design to fabricate on your own.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor