Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Can someone tell me the size I need?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Can someone tell me the size I need?
For what rear suspension, specifically? Do you not have any in the car? Have you got under the car to check to see what you need? If not, get your tape measure and go to work.

You ask a nebulous question, you're getting a nebulous answer. I'd say probably some M12x1.75-95mm bolts. And corresponding crimp nuts. Got a sway bar? You may need bolts for those too. M10x1.5-65mm, and you may need nuts for those bolts as well. I believe they used crimp flanged nuts.

Reactions: 1 user

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
For what rear suspension, specifically? Do you not have any in the car? Have you got under the car to check to see what you need? If not, get your tape measure and go to work.

You ask a nebulous question, you're getting a nebulous answer. I'd say probably some M12x1.75-95mm bolts. And corresponding crimp nuts. Got a sway bar? You may need bolts for those too. M10x1.5-65mm, and you may need nuts for those bolts as well. I believe they used crimp flanged nuts.
Sorry for being so nebulous but I really would just appreciate helpful answers. In which you gave the exact answer I needed just with bloat. Oh and yes I have been under the car and removed everything that I am asking about. Thanks.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Sorry for being so nebulous but I really would just appreciate helpful answers. In which you gave the exact answer I needed just with bloat. Oh and yes I have been under the car and removed everything that I am asking about. Thanks.
69hurstolds gave you good advice. You'll going to have multiple sizes. Pick up a metric ruler or tape and measure each bolt from the bottom of the head. The control arms are all M12. I think theres different lengths. Just get class 10.9 bolts, washers if you decide t use them (I did) and matching lock nuts.
I used these.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Nebulous bloat. Let’s assume that you got autocorrected there.

This thread has details on fasteners used on the A/G bodies. See post #6 for sizing information for aftermarket suspension bolts. Metric, grade 10.9. You can use the dimension info to go to another supplier if you prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Did you have to buy a box ?
We used to order hardware from them at my old job but it was always bulk.
Actually, I bought boxes because I had two cars to provision. I ended up with five sets, and sold two through the forum. I kept one spare set, which it looks like I will now need.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nebulous bloat? Please. If all you wanted is helpful answers, you need to learn to ask more helpful questions. You're lucky you got answered at all. You want detailed answers, you need to get more specific on the question. "Can someone tell me the size I need" (exact quote) can land you with XS, S, M, L, XL, and 2XL, circle one, for answers. "Can someone tell me the size needed for upper/lower control arm bolts for a 1983 Grand Prix.....blah blah?" That would get you more specific answers you seek.

Not every A/G body had metric fasteners anyway. If your car is a 1978, for example, it could be SAE fasteners. They didn't start really mixing/matching until 1982.

Keep in mind too, that if you're not using flanged bolt heads and flanged nuts on the sway bar, you can use flat washers instead. Control arm bolts/nuts aren't flanged. If metric, 10.9 on everything. SAE- Grade 8 minimum.

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
Nebulous bloat? Please. If all you wanted is helpful answers, you need to learn to ask more helpful questions. You're lucky you got answered at all. You want detailed answers, you need to get more specific on the question. "Can someone tell me the size I need" (exact quote) can land you with XS, S, M, L, XL, and 2XL, circle one, for answers. "Can someone tell me the size needed for upper/lower control arm bolts for a 1983 Grand Prix.....blah blah?" That would get you more specific answers you seek.

Not every A/G body had metric fasteners anyway. If your car is a 1978, for example, it could be SAE fasteners. They didn't start really mixing/matching until 1982.

Keep in mind too, that if you're not using flanged bolt heads and flanged nuts on the sway bar, you can use flat washers instead. Control arm bolts/nuts aren't flanged. If metric, 10.9 on everything. SAE- Grade 8 minimum.
Didnt realize that I never put any specific car info into the post somewhere. However, I do appreciate the advice. I measured what I took out and did not find it on the site I was looking at so I assumed I had measured wrong so hence me asking for the size. My car does not have a sway bar in the rear so I just assumed they all were the same and only had the trailing arms in the rear. I have 8 bolts and 8 nuts holding all of this together.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
I get most of my new bolts from Belmetric.com they have pretty much all the good stuff that looks factory correct for the sheet metal and various other things on our cars. Plus you can order the amount you want and dont have to buy in bulk. They are one of the big reasons i have stopped trying to meticulously clean factory hardware and reuse it, but i do keep it around for spares.

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I even learned something from this thread. Belmetric in any quantity you want. Fabulous!!
Thanks to the responders for providing the specifics & links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor