Nuts and Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

druggles85

Pendejo
Oct 25, 2009
Exeter, NH
Never saw class 10 metric hardware in a store like that in my area. Especially lock nuts and washers.
My local ace hardware always had them. They changed hardware suppliers now, so I don't know what they have anymore. Used to know where everything was, now I can't find anything, and need to ask for help sometimes. Lol. Kind of ruined my life.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My local ace hardware always had them. They changed hardware suppliers now, so I don't know what they have anymore. Used to know where everything was, now I can't find anything, and need to ask for help sometimes. Lol. Kind of ruined my life.
Youre lucky to have a well stocked store in your area. All the metric stuff in my local hardware store is only 8.8. Funny, I never owned a metric ruler until I redid the suspension on my coupe. LOL

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the fastener warehouse in portsmouth
is a great resource if you ever get in a bind.they're good.

Reactions: 1 users

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
I'm sure your Ace has them. Even if you get SAE threads it all the same. I buy the gold 8.8 grade. The finish holds up well unless you drive in the snow a salt depending where you live.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I'm sure your Ace has them. Even if you get SAE threads it all the same. I buy the gold 8.8 grade. The finish holds up well unless you drive in the snow a salt depending where you live.
Hate to say it but class 8.8 in metric is equal to a grade 5 bolt. They have 25% less strength than a 10.9. Not a good choice for a cars suspension. Doesnt matter if theyre cadmium plated.
SAE threads are on fractional bolts. Not metric. G body cars use only metric on their suspensions. SAE will either be too large or too small. Too small will wear the crap out of the bolt and eventually break it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Go to a junk yard (Auto recycle center) and pull what you need from GM cars. A lot of the nuts and bolts are the size you need specially for suspension and they have the factory gray coating. Never use GRADE 5 where a GRADE 8 is required. Would you buy Lowes bolts to secure the cyl head?

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I picked mine up at McMaster-Carr. Some were a little different than stock, but Made in USA or Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor