o2 sensor wiring (first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldscutlasswagon

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2016
Hello everybody, I am new to the forum and am excited to be a part of this online community. I am fairly new to GM cars in general, however I am not new to cars by any means. I also have a pretty heavily modified 1969 Mustang and have a decent amount of experience working on a lot of types of cars. I am the proud owner of a 1982 Cutlass Cruiser and have already done the s10 brake swap with stainless lines, changed the front and rear springs (slightly stiffer up front and CC's in back), and I am still catching up on fixing some of the things that were wrong with the car when I inherited it (thank you grandma!). She isn't a lot to look at and she has some rust but I am ok with a car that doesn't look perfect. After some of the issues are sorted out I will definitely install a rear sway bar as the body roll is still pretty bad after the stiffer springs and poly endlinks and bushings up front.

I have the car driving pretty damn well and have had the factory electronic carb rebuilt. I recently had the alignment done, and shortly after I got a check engine light. I used the testing process to get a code 13 for the o2 sensor. This was definitely the problem as the harness side of the connector was ripped from the harness wiring. This is one of many reasons I never trust shops and expect they will mess something up. The control arm shaft cover is right by this and I am sure the shop broke the wire. Here is where I feel stupid.

The wiring diagrams I have seen show that the wire for the o2 is purple (correct) and eventually connects directly to the ECM. The factory wiring looms and even factory zip ties are all intact, this car was garaged for half its life so all the wiring stuff is in pretty dang good shape. I looked everywhere for a broken wire on the harness side and could not find anything. Is this wire still purple on the harness side? Which loom should this be in and what other color wires are its neighbors in the loom? I gotta say I feel stupid asking but hey not here to impress anyone. The diagram shows a direct connection to ecm and its labeled purple but I wanted to be sure it doesn't change colors after the connector.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone and I hope you bare with me as this is my first GM car.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. Sounds like a cool project. Let's see some pics!

The rest of the wire should be purple. Maybe it is just hiding in the convoluted tubing. Maybe try to stretch out the purple wire and see where it will reach to. The ecm harness comes through the firewall on the passenger side, under the HVAC case. Good luck with the hunt!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Since the alignment shop likely broke it, is there a harness on the fender well?

oldscutlasswagon

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2016
If I don't find the wire I'm looking for I will post pics of the wiring situation to show what I am dealing with, but I won't take pics of the wagon until it is better cleaned up. My grandma used packing tape to keep door protectors on the sides of the car, yes packing tape and you guessed it the residue ruined the paint. This car is funny because the interior is in pretty good shape due to being garaged for a while but the car lived in South San Francisco so as soon as it sat outside the fog got to it and rusted some areas up, like the rear window area. So visually there isn't a lot to see. I was able to get the stock 14" wheels and locking hubcaps to fit over the s10 brakes with 5mm wheel spacers too so it doesn't have much cool factor going for it. The rear CC's gave the car more rake than I was expecting as well. I am on the lookout for a cheap set of 15" wheels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor