Oct. Update 7 years I bought a 8.5 rear end = Got screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'll never install a 9" rear end personally. I'm into restoration, not performance upgrades for the longest time now, especially on the G-bodies.

That said, as with anything, you can throw enough money at any rear end and with quality parts and accurate clearances and top notch installation practices, you can make an 8.5 or 9" pretty much indestructible up to its limits. The sheer weight of the 9" makes me question a street or street strip application that isn't pumping 600+ HP and Torque to it to justify usage. It's kind of overkill but if it give you peace of mind, and the price points are right, then I suppose it's worth it.

My brother used to run 9" in his old Camaro race car, because he liked the idea of swapping gears at the track within an hour. I talked him into trying an 8.5 one time because I found one that was already modified to fit his car with 3.73 gears and he was hooked on it after that (he rebuilt it the way he wanted it). He was running nitrous on a built SBC, most of the time, (sometimes a 454. He swapped engines like I did tuneups) but he claimed the entire car seermed easier to launch due to the rear end change. I dunno, never drove his race car, but he's one of the few I've ever seen go from 9" to 8.5". Most everyone wants something they don't already have or tried searching for that elusive .01 second or +1 mph trap speed. :)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
My take is that these 30+ year old rears aren't worth it. I've had 7.5s, 8.5's, 8.8's, and now an S60. All the time and dicking around I did with the other rears was worthless. If I had spent the money on the S60 first, I'd be money ahead and had a much stronger rear from the start.

I have a 67 8.2 A body rear with everything original except for the 2 pinion gear thrust washers which were on a recall but never changed. Even the Eaton posi clutch packs are original

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
This thread ended up making some great conversation.
While upset, I'm pretty much over it. I spent much more then I wanted to but learned a lesson, and my whole point of the thread was to hopefully help someone else avoid the same mistake. I'll be the first one to say that while I'm into cars and do most of my own work because I'm cheap, I normally only work on them when I have to, and it's not a hobby, even though people around me seem to think it is. So there's a very good chance that even if the guy did live close, I still wouldn't have known what I was looking for. Other than changing fluid, this is the first experience I've had with the rear axles. I guess that I could have asked the guy to take it apart and take pictures, but I didn't have the opportunity to inspect it first because he was on the east coast and I'm on the west coast. Again 7-8 years ago there weren't many options for new setups, and this guy assured me that it was all good.

Reactions: 1 user

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
I learned the hard way once also and bought a rear end that was suppose to be posi and 3:73 gears and totally rebuilt. Took the sellers word. But when I got it home to inspect it was non posi 2:73 worn out rear end needing to be rebuilt or scrapped and get another rear end.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This thread ended up making some great conversation.
While upset, I'm pretty much over it. I spent much more then I wanted to but learned a lesson, and my whole point of the thread was to hopefully help someone else avoid the same mistake. I'll be the first one to say that while I'm into cars and do most of my own work because I'm cheap, I normally only work on them when I have to, and it's not a hobby, even though people around me seem to think it is. So there's a very good chance that even if the guy did live close, I still wouldn't have known what I was looking for. Other than changing fluid, this is the first experience I've had with the rear axles. I guess that I could have asked the guy to take it apart and take pictures, but I didn't have the opportunity to inspect it first because he was on the east coast and I'm on the west coast. Again 7-8 years ago there weren't many options for new setups, and this guy assured me that it was all good.

we learn by mistakes, not successes and learning is always a good thing....:)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
Caveat emptor, quia ignorare non debuit quod jus alienum emit.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I just don't understand why so many people love those GN rears so much. I don't care that they were made for our cars.

My belief is that if GM was going to put that rear in the gutlass 442 it should have been put in the Monte Carlo SS

Remember that in the GM world the hierarchy was Caddy,Buick, Olds, Pontiac and lastly Chevrolet. GM brass likely chose not to put the much better 8.5 in the Monte Carlo for this reason.

The VIN 9 8.5 rear is a nice, desirable rear end for many reasons. Like you said it is a direct fit, strong enough for all but the most extreme builds, lighter than a 12 bolt or 9 inch, is the correct width for a G body, etc. etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mr84monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 23, 2018
It's the gift that keeps on giving. Now that the car has 600 miles, the new Moser C-clip eliminators are leaking. I had no idea what an eliminator was about when I bought it, only that the seals needed to be replaced. In fact when it was described to me I thought it's an upgrade and strong than stock. I now know that they are for drag racing and not for street use, because they can't handle corners. I've reached out to Strange who has a street/strip version but at the cost of $500ish. On top of that I recently found out that the limited slip unit needs new clutches, which after labor is about another $500. This could end up being the most expensive 8.5 in history. At this point I can scrap this rear and go with a brand new 9" set up but it looks like if I install disk brakes I'll be at around the $4k mark. I've been seeing others with the leak issue, welding on Ford axle ends (sort of going back to a stock set up). Going that route, I'd still have to buy new axles (again) but between that and rebuilding the LSU I'd be around $1500. To be clear it's very unlikely that the car will see much if any track time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor