Odd and dangerous brake conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Okay so on a parts car that i got a couple months ago (mostly for sheet metal for punkin patch) i was going through the odds and ends parts to either keep or get rid of. I finally got around to taking the lines off of the master cylinder to make lines to bench bleed the master cylinder on my 87 while on the car. Long story short when i took the lines off of this parts car i found this behind the front line.
brakes1.jpg

What you can see in this picture is a thumb tack of all things, placed point out, with the point going into the brake line and RTV behind it.... For the love of god what is wrong with people? Im guessing from the state of the front calipers on the car and the completely worn out sliders (you could rock the caliper back and forth) that the front brakes probably made a lot of noise at best but why would you ever do this? Keep in mind before it was spun on the interstate the guy was driving this thing...
brakes2.jpg
brakes3.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Josh-FYI, the front outlet goes to the rear brakes(at least on my car). My guess would be there was a problem somewhere in the system and that basically plugged it off but still gave the appearance of functionality. Nothing but front brakes might be kinda hard on them.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Josh-FYI, the front outlet goes to the rear brakes(at least on my car). My guess would be there was a problem somewhere in the system and that basically plugged it off but still gave the appearance of functionality. Nothing but front brakes might be kinda hard on them.
Ha! learn something new everyday, here i thought those were for the front. Thanks for correcting that

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Wow. I have seen clamps on the rear flexible brake hoses but never that

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Okay so on a parts car that i got a couple months ago (mostly for sheet metal for punkin patch) i was going through the odds and ends parts to either keep or get rid of. I finally got around to taking the lines off of the master cylinder to make lines to bench bleed the master cylinder on my 87 while on the car. Long story short when i took the lines off of this parts car i found this behind the front line. View attachment 198757

What you can see in this picture is a thumb tack of all things, placed point out, with the point going into the brake line and RTV behind it.... For the love of god what is wrong with people? Im guessing from the state of the front calipers on the car and the completely worn out sliders (you could rock the caliper back and forth) that the front brakes probably made a lot of noise at best but why would you ever do this? Keep in mind before it was spun on the interstate the guy was driving this thing... View attachment 198758 View attachment 198759
Whelp, now you know why it probably spun on said interstate

• Agree

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
The threads do zero sealing on a flared line. It only pushes the flare onto the cone. Some people should never be allowed near a car repair.

Spun on the interstate, Now we know why.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Guess none of you grew up on a farm...used to see this on old farm trucks. Got a leak in a line, put a box nail in the line and tighten 'er up!

Bought a 72 F350 Camper special from a guy...rear brakes only. Yep, nail in the front line off the MC. Turned out the calipers drug. so that was their "fix"

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've done some hokey shiz but that is BAD! I once bashed a rear brake line shut just to get home but not on a friggin' interstate!!

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Hillbilly line-lock? Disable the rear brakes at the source to make it easier to do burnouts 🤷‍♂️

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor