Odometer stick in the way of changing gauge bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
don't really know what it's called, but it resets your odometer. This is an 86 El Camino. How do I remove this thing? It's the only thing holding me back from taking this plastic panel off and replacing some bulbs for my gauges. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 438

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it unscrews but you don't take that cover off to change bulbs. The bulbs are at the back of the cluster

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
There is a small screw at the end, you can see the slot in it.

On Chevrolets, way easier to access the bulbs by removing the lens and shadow box than trying to change from backside of inst panel

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Luckily on mine I had no trip meter reset knob. I did just replace all the behind the gauge cluster bulbs.
I found replacement bulbs in blue on line that were LED type. This color goes with my theme in the car.
All my interior lights are blue so it was the right choice. Getting to the meat of where the bulbs are takes
some time and patience. Different sized screws so be careful. Some hidden by other removed parts.
Be very careful when you get to the bulb sockets and the holder in the back plate. These can be brittle
and the bulbs are seated deep and they are glass. Very difficult to remove without breakage.
I broke one of my bulb socket holders on the back plate and had to glue it in place.
But now after cleaning and repainting the back side of the cluster cover (white) the lights are brighter
and a nice blue hue and looking good. Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor