oil gauge not working

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
on my 1986 monte carlo ss the factory oil gauge stopped working. i put in a new sending unit, it is a 2 wire. done nothing. a friend told me about the electric choke on my quadrajet is tied into the oil unit. i can unplug the choke wire and it pegs wide open. does anybody have an idea what it wrong? any help is appreciated. i am a retired professional transmission rebuilder, if you have any question i will be glad to help if i can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
on my 1986 monte carlo ss the factory oil gauge stopped working. i put in a new sending unit, it is a 2 wire. done nothing. a friend told me about the electric choke on my quadrajet is tied into the oil unit. i can unplug the choke wire and it pegs wide open. does anybody have an idea what it wrong? any help is appreciated. i am a retired professional transmission rebuilder, if you have any question i will be glad to help if i can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That 2 wire unit is for the choke/oil warning light (rubber boot with 3 wires, light blue, brown, dark green with white stripe). The gauge sender is a single wire (tan wire with a black boot) on the side of the block above the oil filter. Should look like this.
1683235780138.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
That 2 wire unit is for the choke/oil warning light (rubber boot with 3 wires, light blue, brown, dark green with white stripe). The gauge sender is a single wire (tan wire with a black boot) on the side of the block above the oil filter. Should look like this.
View attachment 220248
well, mine doesn't have the 305, it is actually a 1967 283 block, with 305 heads. it still has the canaster oil filter. so, i don't think it has that unit. it has the sending unit in the back of the block by the distributor.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Sounds like you need a Tee so you can run the sending unit and the choke switch.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
well, mine doesn't have the 305, it is actually a 1967 283 block, with 305 heads. it still has the canaster oil filter. so, i don't think it has that unit. it has the sending unit in the back of the block by the distributor.
Guessing it looks like this then
1683240979420.jpeg

This only works with warning lights & the carbs electric choke if so equiped. The 283 block should have a port above the oil canister for the oil system to allow a fitting to install a sender down there. But as ELCAM stated, you'll need a T set up to allow both the gauge sender & light switch in the upper rear location if you don't use that other port. I have fitting that allows both to use the same port as my clutch cross shaft will block access to the lower one.

Reactions: 3 users

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
Guessing it looks like this then
View attachment 220251
This only works with warning lights & the carbs electric choke if so equiped. The 283 block should have a port above the oil canister for the oil system to allow a fitting to install a sender down there. But as ELCAM stated, you'll need a T set up to allow both the gauge sender & light switch in the upper rear location if you don't use that other port. I have fitting that allows both to use the same port as my clutch cross shaft will block access to the lower one.
thanks, i will check that out this weekend. i can't remember a switch by the canister, the gauge has worked fine for the 2 years i have had the car so it must be wired right.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor