oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
www.cardomain.com
hey guys.. ive got an 85 cutlass w/ a sbc (it was in it when i bought it) with only 6,*** mile on it so far. anyways when cruising the oil pressure is good, about 30-50 psi. when the engine is warm and been running for atleast 30 min. the oil pressure sits at less than 10 psi. btw new walmart oil press. gauge w/ sending unit put on when motor was put in. is this normal or anything i need to check. any ideas are appreciated.

btw... my timing chain cover gasket is leaking a little bit (will change it as soon as time allows) would this affect the oil press. any?

try changing ur oil see what that does it could be the oil is thinned out just my 2 cents

You didn't say what grade oil you have in there or what the outside temp is.

Just to give you an example, I changed the oil in my 71 ford torino gt conv with a 351C 4v and used castrol gtx 10-30. Had some laying around from the case I bought. On startup I had almost 60psi. Drove it around a little and it came down to 20-30. After about an hour in temps in the mid 90's it dropped down to maybe 5psi in gear at idle. So then I got out my manuals and read that I should be using 20w-40 above 32*. So after an other oil change things are back to normal.

And be sure to use a premium brand instead of the blue light special. For the $5 savings it's not worth worrying about.

sorry about the info.. im using castrol gtx 10w 40(which i use in all my cars, 94 impala ss and my old 93 suburban) and the temps outside are in the lower 100's. so what brand and weight would you reccomend?

I would try a 20W-50 good brand name oil and I would almost guarantee that your hot idle oil pressure will increase to an acceptable level.

oil

Yes 20/50 is a good oil for viscosity, also a Fram HP series filter will maintain good pressure

IDK I think 20-50 is kinda thick for an engine with only 6,000 miles on it.

For starters I'd stick w/ 10w-40. The oil your running is a good brand. Most SBC run low oil PSI at idle. My engine runs about 5PSI when its warmed up. I have a high volume pump, and this is very common. I've built two SBC's and both have done the same at idle. I wouldn't worry about it. If your cruise PSI is low thats a different story. If your between 30-55PSI then you're fine. I would also stay away from synthetic oil until your motor is completly broken in. I ran strait 30SAE in mine for the first 6000.

RedHotRegal said:
Try some lucas oil additive. It will help with oil press. and wont hurt your fresh engine.

That's exactly the same thing as going to a heavier weight oil. You don't need to do that on a fresh engine. Your idle oil pressure is fine, just as others have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor