Ok I need help again. Crank no start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuuCeD82ReGaL

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2008
Marietta Ga
what i did today was take the the gauges out. I moved the fuel gauge towards the empty mark because I know there isnt much gas in the tank. I turned the key on then hooked the gauge up and it slowly moved towards full tank. So it obviously has power. But why not accurate or not working right? Maybe fuel sending unit is bad? I also noticed the clock in the cluster was out. So I found a fuse blown that goes to that location. I replaced it and had the key in the on positon for a few minutes and it blew again. Had a little smoke come from out the dash. What makes the MPH not work on our cars??? The clock works fine accept the issue in the line somewhere and I need my MPH and FUEL to work somehow. Would appreciate any and all help.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I think the fuel guage will either max out or show empty if it has a bad ground. The speedo works off of a cable from the transmission. It could be broken or binding on something.

JuuCeD82ReGaL

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2008
Marietta Ga
Ok so I hooked up the fuel sendingwire to the ground wire and when I turned the key over to power, the gauge went all the way over to full even past full mark and stopped. So whats that mean? Fuel sending unit is bad? Or ground location with wire on fuel sending unit itself might be bad? The main ground is off of a screw into the frame behind the bumper so thats good.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
need help

do you have a test light or volt meter?

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
no start

the way you check the fuel oil and temp gauges is turn the key to the on position remove the wire and check for power it will be a small amout of voltage,if not you have a problem.with the wire disconnected the gauge should go past full, now ground the wire to the body the gauge should go to empty.if the gauge goes past full and to empty it is ok and the sending unit is bad ,if not its the gauge good luck jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor